This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nbraucher View Post
    Hi all, first post here. I see 4.19 was just released almost an hour ago, and looking through the release notes there is no mention of Vulkan updates this time around. Could Epic provide us with a summary of the current status of the Vulkan rendering API? How close is it to production stability for Windows and Linux desktops?

Thanks in advance,
    I'd like to know that too. Using Vulkan on Unity giving my project a huge boost (hundreds times faster). I'm waiting for the same in Unreal. Don't care of Dx12, please implement Vulkan as quickly as possible on PC and Linux. It's a hellish good technology.

Comment

There is though. For example here's a few bug fixes:
      • Bug Fix: Fixed Anisotropic Filtering not working on Vulkan.
      • Bug Fix: Memory is no longer reallocated on every Vulkan draw call.

Comment

The recent issues I have found with Planar Reflections still not fixed yet and affects OpenGL aswel.
        Nilson Lima
        Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
        Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/FUwTvzr

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
        supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

The 4.19 cut off was a few months ago, so a ton of fixes (specially for performance) are going to be on 4.20.

Planar reflections is a known bug that'll be fixed for 4.20.

I'll update this thread post-GDC.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomza View Post

I'd like to know that too. Using Vulkan on Unity giving my project a huge boost (hundreds times faster). I'm waiting for the same in Unreal. Don't care of Dx12, please implement Vulkan as quickly as possible on PC and Linux. It's a hellish good technology.
            There's no way it is actually running HUNDREDS of times faster just from using vulkan, unless the previous renderer was complete fail...

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post

There's no way it is actually running HUNDREDS of times faster just from using vulkan, unless the previous renderer was complete fail...
              Doom which was coded directly into Vulkan API (through wrappers of course) is not hundreds of times faster. Please, be precise on your post. For me, it would be already good as hell being on par with Dx12, any 10% plus would have me completely satisfied, but I really wish it to be 30% faster.
              Nilson Lima

Comment

Originally posted by Zeblote View Post

There was a huge difference in my Unity project between DX11 and Vulkan. I got over 700 fps with Vulkan.

Comment

There was a huge difference in my Unity project between DX11 and Vulkan. I got over 700 fps with Vulkan.
                  This means each frame was rendered in 1.42ms, what did you have in the scene? can you provide a sample build in vulkan made there for us to take a look?
                  Nilson Lima

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post

This means each frame was rendered in 1.42ms, what did you have in the scene? can you provide a sample build in vulkan made there for us to take a look?

Usually, my project consume much resources because I don't care of optimization (LOD etc.). My Unity project is designed to do all the stuff at runtime for users. First, we wanted to use UE4, but the lack of C++ documentation killed me and I was forced to use Unity. Yes, I switched to Vulkan from the default DX11 because my complex application was frozen because of a very low FPS. I was surprised of boosting my project. I am sure the Unity Team made a great work in implementing Vulkan. I wish the Epic Team would do the same in UE4.
                    Because there is much stuff (very complex UI system plus editors for browsing and creating avatars, objects, panels, terrains, places and particles and many more; all with thousands objects and all done at runtime) on the huge scene, we got only 188 FPS now. But with directx11, I was unable to use me app. And Vulkan coped to render that.

Comment

Usually, my project consume much resources because I don't care of optimization (LOD etc.). My Unity project is designed to do all the stuff at runtime for users. First, we wanted to use UE4, but the lack of C++ documentation killed me and I was forced to use Unity. Yes, I switched to Vulkan from the default DX11 because my complex application was frozen because of a very low FPS. I was surprised of boosting my project. I am sure the Unity Team made a great work in implementing Vulkan. I wish the Epic Team would do the same in UE4.
                      Because there is much stuff (very complex UI system plus editors for browsing and creating avatars, objects, panels, terrains, places and particles and many more; all with thousands objects and all done at runtime) on the huge scene, we got only 188 FPS now. But with directx11, I was unable to use me app. And Vulkan coped to render that.
                      So, to be comparing apples to apples and not pineapples, you said you got 188FPS in the complex scene in Unity, which is the FPS when you switch from Vulkan to DX11 in Unity then?

I don't want to extend the discussion, because the thread itself is not about Unity (and shouldn't), but I do see a useful statistic to know here, so this is why my question in 1st place. Indeed, Vulkan would be a change, since it was made to run in several different systems, makes us to want it badly and also to not be dependent on DX12 and future generations of it.
                      Nilson Lima

Comment

There are a number of people waiting for a good quality Vulkan renderer for Unreal for high quality PC as Unreal Engine has some of the best visual quality on that platform. Being able to extend that same fedelity to Linux as well would just be cherry. So far we have been eyeballing Cryengine and Unity but they are not quite there yet on the Vulkan front either. If Epic were able to cut ahead of the race and deliver a Vulkan renderer for PC that could dish out the visuals they are known for, I think they would see a nice market return. I am holding out hope for the next quarter before having to make a final call.

Comment

For me, the two biggest things I'd like to see are support for PC-specific effects (alternate shading models like Subsurface Scattering, GPU particles, cloth, motion blur), and draw call performance improvements. Vulkan can take care of draw call performance, a must-have for larger open world spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by mariomguy View Post
                            For me, the two biggest things I'd like to see are support for PC-specific effects (alternate shading models like Subsurface Scattering, GPU particles, cloth, motion blur), and draw call performance improvements. Vulkan can take care of draw call performance, a must-have for larger open world spaces.
                            You mean you want these features on mobile correct? The desktop Vulkan implementation supports everything the D3D11/12 path does.

On AMD we are faster than D3D11, once the slides from my GDC talk are out you can see the numbers.

Comment

RCaloca Oculus added Vulkan support in https://developer.oculus.com/downloa...indows/1.15.0/ (current SDk is 1.24.0) and I am wondering when UE4 will fully support that so that we could finally enjoy better performance in PC VR using Vulkan (or same performance with increased visual fidelity).

Comment

Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
                                On AMD we are faster than D3D11, once the slides from my GDC talk are out you can see the numbers.
                                Does it mean NVidia Vulkan implementation is not on par with AMD? Or is this something regarding hardware concept helping Vulkan implementation at AMD side?
                                Nilson Lima

Comment

Working...
                                X