X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Not directly related to Vulkan.
    From the RHI perspective how much Vulkan and DiretX 12 are similiar ? Aside from current implementation, is it possible to have 100% feature parity ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Samsung is the one who distributes Protostar (not sure how)...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just a quick question that is related to Vulkan: Do we have any demos specifically made for vulkan? I'd like to try out my new S8 with UE4 and Vulkan but I can't seem to find any demos and the Protostar demo from last year is nowhere to find

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey, guys. Nougat just dropped for S6 and had at least minimal Vulkan support. Christmas came early I guess. I thought my S6 was turning into an expensive paperweight, but it has some life left.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No list right now; once we get QA to do more serious testing of features (and/or whatever we get from user's reports) then we know that's broken. There might be spir-v issues in the shaders that might cause glitches we haven't seen for example. It 'should' have the same features/support as GL4.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RCaloca View Post
    Just this one time I added the missing code: as nothing is calling it, it won't cause issues if it's broken; however just want you to understand that you're running into this code since it's (still unfortunately) an experimental RHI with a PR that we haven't integrated/cleaned into the engine; there will potentially be issues because of it. We want our code to be clean, solid, optimal and cause as few problems for you and everyone else (including us!). If you can fix it, feel free to contribute a PR. This will make its way to main/git master next week.
    Awesome, thanks very much!

I am completely aware of that Vulkan is still experimental, but since nothing is calling it, even if maybe all materials that use texture arrays will fail to compile and show the default material or something like that, anything in this case is better than just crashing due to a check(false). It still allows me to see if all the other things in the game work correctly, while just crashing doesn't, and I hope it helps you if more people test Vulkan with their games.

I am really wondering though why the texture array RHI stuff was implemented for OpenGL, D3D11, D3D12 and Metal if its really not used anywhere. It's definitely great that it is since that allows that PR to easily expose it to materials without having to modify any RHI specific stuff.

Do you have something like a list of things that are known to be broken in Vulkan, so things that I don't even need to mention if I see them not working? For example I would guess that distance field features might not be supported yet?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just this one time I added the missing code: as nothing is calling it, it won't cause issues if it's broken; however just want you to understand that you're running into this code since it's (still unfortunately) an experimental RHI with a PR that we haven't integrated/cleaned into the engine; there will potentially be issues because of it. We want our code to be clean, solid, optimal and cause as few problems for you and everyone else (including us!). If you can fix it, feel free to contribute a PR. This will make its way to main/git master next week.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not yet, sorry it's in our TODO list but no current fix date yet, moreso due to the fact that it's not an easy to repro case.
    But do you need a repro for that? You see that the function is completely unimplemented in Vulkan, while its implemented for all other APIs. So its pretty clear that it can't work with Vulkan, do you need a repro case for seeing that a function that pretty much just has a check(false) inside (thats what VULKAN_SIGNAL_UNIMPLEMENTED() is doing) crashes?

There are also at least one other place where it would crash if not in that function, like here:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...sources.h#L498

There its also just doing check(false) if someone tries to get a Texture2DArray with Vulkan.

If the code would just do whatever it does for the other APIs it might just work. Maybe you could just ask whoever wrote the Metal implementation how they tested it. Or you could just implement those things (so that its no longer doing things like check(false) or VULKAN_SIGNAL_UNIMPLEMENTED() there, and wait for someone like me to try it out, maybe it will just work. No matter what you do, it won't get worse than a check(false), right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Hey [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION], do you know when it will be fixed? Or is it already in fixed in some internal branch?
    Not yet, sorry it's in our TODO list but no current fix date yet, moreso due to the fact that it's not an easy to repro case.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION], do you know when it will be fixed? Or is it already in fixed in some internal branch?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION]

I just searched through github, and I found a commit where you edited the function:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealE...58ad6d7043L835

You removed the
    Code:
     return Texture->Surface.Lock(MipIndex, TextureIndex, LockMode, DestStride);
    and replaced it with a
    Code:
    VULKAN_SIGNAL_UNIMPLEMENTED(); return nullptr;
    That was back in May 2016.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, we haven't hit that case here, is that a custom code path? Is there an easy way to repro?
    Actually, I don't know where in the engine texture arrays are used by default. Since the texture array code is implemented for OpenGL, D3D11, D3D12 and Metal I am quite sure they are used somewhere, but I have no idea where.

I am using this PR to expose the texture array functionality to materials: https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/2340

So with that PR its very easy to see the crash, just import a texture array and use it in any material. But as I said, since the texture array code itself is in the engine (that PR only makes them usable from materials), they are probably used somewhere in the engine, so that PR shouldn't be necessary for reproducing this issue. I am using textures arrays because the only real alternative would be texture atlases, and texture arrays achieve the same thing, just a lot nicer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION], is that something that you are aware of?
    No, we haven't hit that case here, is that a custom code path? Is there an easy way to repro?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've tried running my game with Vulkan, and this is where it crashed:

I see that function is implemented for OpenGL, D3D11, D3D12 and Metal, just Vulkan is missing.
    Hey [MENTION=396]RCaloca[/MENTION], is that something that you are aware of?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, here is a few month than UE 4.15 was released, is there any new about Vulkan ? And Vulkan + Gear VR ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X