Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blending meshes with landscapes with no seams: how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I am interested too, but the method you suggested, if I understood it right, will only solve diffuse differences, hard edge between meshes and landscape will still be there
    Guys from Battlefront team did it really nice
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023272...rs-Battlefront
    Look for Terrain and asset blending

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All this is doing is allowing you to do is vertex paint a mask that reveals a "blend" material across the verts of the meshes. We used similar techniques in Halo; we created "dirt skirts" using Houdini and Maya, then vertex painted the mask in maya. Once in engine you can just apply the material you want (i.e. sand) and since the vertex colors already export with your meshes, the material will automatically blend in with everything.

You can do the same thing in UE4. You can setup a material with 2 layers (i.e. rock and sand), then just paint vertex colors (in UE4, no need for maya) to mask which parts will be rock or sand, they will blend in and that's that. If you want to get fancy, you can generate a mask in Substance Designer so it's more realistic then vert colors, and get some more believable blending between the two objects.

I could do a tutorial showing both the vertex painting method and Substance, if people are interested?
    Last edited by Jak Carver; 05-31-2016, 07:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    +1

nice effect , folowing this thread

Leave a comment:

• replied
    +1 I'd like to know about this too, artist friendly method preferably.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sample the normal map in world space of the landscape in your rock material
    I don't get it. How do you do that? What's the nodes setup?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    All you need to do is sample the normal map in world space of the landscape in your rock material and blend that with the rock's normals (also in world space).
    Make sure to turn off "Tangent Space Normal" in your material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It appears that I posted it twice: ?!? Sorry for that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X