Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blending meshes with landscapes with no seams: how?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blending meshes with landscapes with no seams: how?

Hi,

Does anyone know a clear and well described technique available in UE4 to put rock meshes in a landscape and integrate them smoothly with it?
    The idea is to have a result like this:

I found this video from a thread on polycount. Following the discussion, no one really found a way to reproduce it in UE4.
    But the post is almost 18 months old. So, maybe, since then, something new happened...
    GLASSES & WATER SHADERS & CUSTOM PLANAR REFLECTIONS on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2...26Y2bEV4kfl9kA

It appears that I posted it twice: ?!? Sorry for that.
    GLASSES & WATER SHADERS & CUSTOM PLANAR REFLECTIONS on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2...26Y2bEV4kfl9kA

Comment

All you need to do is sample the normal map in world space of the landscape in your rock material and blend that with the rock's normals (also in world space).
      Make sure to turn off "Tangent Space Normal" in your material.

Comment

sample the normal map in world space of the landscape in your rock material
        I don't get it. How do you do that? What's the nodes setup?

Comment

+1 I'd like to know about this too, artist friendly method preferably.

Comment

+1

nice effect , folowing this thread

Comment

All this is doing is allowing you to do is vertex paint a mask that reveals a "blend" material across the verts of the meshes. We used similar techniques in Halo; we created "dirt skirts" using Houdini and Maya, then vertex painted the mask in maya. Once in engine you can just apply the material you want (i.e. sand) and since the vertex colors already export with your meshes, the material will automatically blend in with everything.

You can do the same thing in UE4. You can setup a material with 2 layers (i.e. rock and sand), then just paint vertex colors (in UE4, no need for maya) to mask which parts will be rock or sand, they will blend in and that's that. If you want to get fancy, you can generate a mask in Substance Designer so it's more realistic then vert colors, and get some more believable blending between the two objects.

I could do a tutorial showing both the vertex painting method and Substance, if people are interested?
              Last edited by Jak Carver; 05-31-2016, 07:46 PM.
              Lighting Technical Director | Co-Founder
              Game School Online

Want to learn Unreal Engine 4 and game development from professionals that have worked on games at studios like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Last of Us, Riot Games, Blizzard, and more? Checkout Game School Online, the first ever fully featured, structured online game development training platform that is completely free, no strings attached: https://beta.gameschoolonline.com/

Comment

I am interested too, but the method you suggested, if I understood it right, will only solve diffuse differences, hard edge between meshes and landscape will still be there
                Guys from Battlefront team did it really nice
                http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023272...rs-Battlefront
                Look for Terrain and asset blending

Comment

Originally posted by Jak Carver View Post
                  All this is doing is allowing you to do is vertex paint a mask that reveals a "blend" material across the verts of the meshes. We used similar techniques in Halo; we created "dirt skirts" using Houdini and Maya, then vertex painted the mask in maya. Once in engine you can just apply the material you want (i.e. sand) and since the vertex colors already export with your meshes, the material will automatically blend in with everything.

You can do the same thing in UE4. You can setup a material with 2 layers (i.e. rock and sand), then just paint vertex colors (in UE4, no need for maya) to mask which parts will be rock or sand, they will blend in and that's that. If you want to get fancy, you can generate a mask in Substance Designer so it's more realistic then vert colors, and get some more believable blending between the two objects.

I could do a tutorial showing both the vertex painting method and Substance, if people are interested?
                  This does not accomplish what OP is asking for. He wants to be able to blend the normals with the underlying mesh so that there are no visible seams.

Originally posted by EdWasHere View Post
                  I don't get it. How do you do that? What's the nodes setup?
                  You can't access the underlying terrain's normal maps. So you'll have to take the terrain to 3dsMax or other 3d software and get the normal map from the terrain by projecting it on to a plane.

Comment

+1 Yes please...

Comment

Yes, very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Norman3D View Post
                        You can't access the underlying terrain's normal maps. So you'll have to take the terrain to 3dsMax or other 3d software and get the normal map from the terrain by projecting it on to a plane.
                        Could you please do some example, no need to do it with actual assets, I am interested only in material side, how to build nodes for this stuff

Comment

I second this! Please do one.

Comment

Originally posted by Barzum View Post
                            Could you please do some example, no need to do it with actual assets, I am interested only in material side, how to build nodes for this stuff
                            once you have the terrain normal map you pretty much just lerp between that(normal map texture) and the vertex normals(vertexNormal(WS)) of your rock assets based on the vertex color mask. you'll possibly want to turn off tangent space normals for the rock asset material.

Comment

[MENTION=13213]Jak Carver[/MENTION]: I'd be really interested too in a tutorial about these techniques to blend between landscape and meshes diffuse textures. [MENTION=47093]Norman3D[/MENTION]: so, about blending between normals to avoid hard edges (which is indeed required to achieve the effect) , I have to make a normal map of the whole landscape geometry, right? Ok, but when I have this normal map, how do I use it? By blending it with the rock's normals" as you said? This part is still unclear to me.

EDIT: I posted this just after divi and didn't read it's post discribing how to blend normals. I'll start experimenting with all these indications but a screenshot of the nodes setup would be great.
                              Last edited by EdWasHere; 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X