No announcement yet.

Light shines through my door.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it 3x thicker in UE4 and that removed the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoorsThicker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	1052179

Thanks Obihb and everyone that came with suggestions.

Comment

I just a thought, regarding the dynamic lighting - if you check your light source, there should be a 'self shadowing accuracy' option on it. Try cranking it up, and try out the thin mesh again. Seems odd to have to change the form of your objects just to get the lighting to work.

Comment

Possibly the shadowing offsets for a thin object.

Comment

Hi Narater,

I messed with your Mesh for a little bit this morning trying to solve the issue. Attached you'll find two images.

The first is a slightly tweaked UV for the lightmap vs the original lightmap.

In this image on the left is the tweaked lightmap (can be seen in the second image) and the right is the original lightmap. You can clearly see that light bleed is happening on the original.

Name:	DoorNoLightvsLightLeak.PNG
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	1052182

Here in the second image is the original UV for the texture. I did a check to see if there were any overlapping UVs and there were. They are the ones in the top right and left corners. Moving those up I then reimported this into UE4 and set the lightmap resolution at 128. Both meshes in the image above are using a 128 lightmap resolution.

Name:	ORiginalUValtered.PNG
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1052183

It wouldn't hurt to make your mesh a little thicker as you've indicated you're doing, but having a properly setup lightmap can do worlds of good as well when it comes to getting the look you want!

If you run into issues or have any questions feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Tim
          Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
          UE4 Documentation

Comment

Hi Tim.

I have made the door 2x thicker and that is as far as I want to go. In what way did you tweak the UVs for the lightmap?

Name:	DoorLightMap.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1052191
            What did you find was wrong with it?

What about what Obihb said that movable objects lightmap are of no real use?

It only slighty helps if I set Self Shadowing Accuracy to a higher number.

Comment

Hi Narater,

I have made the door 2x thicker and that is as far as I want to go. In what way did you tweak the UVs for the lightmap?
              Click image for larger version.

Name: DoorLightMap.jpg
              Views: 8
              Size: 79.5 KB
              ID: 5815
              What did you find was wrong with it?
              In the images from my post above I detail what I changed. I took the original UV you had and applied that to the second UV channel. I then looked to see what UV faces were overlapping. The only parts overlapping were the pieces I removed and stuck in the top right and left corners. This was a simple way for me to check and see if the lightmap was the main culprit to the lightbleed. Since the mesh wasn't being broken up as it is in the image you've posted it didn't allow lightbleed to be baked into the texture.

What about what Obihb said that movable objects lightmap are of no real use?
              Lightmap are used to bake lighting into a texture for anything that is static (non-movable). This gives no overhead for the object at run-time with shadows.

If your object is set to Movable it will not need a lightmap because the shadows are not being baked into a texture since the shadows are dynamically created based on the object.

Tim
              Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
              UE4 Documentation

Comment

Working...
              X