X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light shines through my door.

Hi.

I'm very new to game making and UE4.
    I get this effect on my door from the light on the other side of the door and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacedoor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	1136026

The doors are solid meshes, they have proper UVs and there is an animation on them to open and close.
    I'm using Cinema 4D R15 and exporting with FBX 7.3 to UE 4.2.

My original post about this disappeared some how in the Content Creation section.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Narater View Post

My original post about this disappeared some how in the Content Creation section.
    Sorry about that, but there was a problem with the database: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...Incident-Today

Do you get any warnings when you build your light?

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
      Do you get any warnings when you build your light?
      I don't get any warnings when I build my light, the only waring I get is when I import my mesh and get:
      "Warning Warning: No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene. Please make sure to enable the 'Export Smoothing Groups' option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file. Even for tools that don't support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing."

Comment

You may want to check your normals.

I'm not sure how C4D handles this, since I hate it with a passion - but you should have an option to cull backfacing geometry in the viewport. Pore over your mesh and check for any visible holes, and then flip the normals as and where they appear.

Comment

Originally posted by Crow87 View Post
          You may want to check your normals.
          I have checked faces, normals and vertices on the mesh many times and haven't found anything wrong with them.

Comment

Alright.

Can you upload the mesh? Might help to get a second pair of eyes to look over it.

Comment

Probably a low lightmap resolution is causing it -> choose a higher value (e.g 128)

But as Crow87 said, it would help us when you could upload your mesh so that we can take a look at it

Comment

Here is the FBX file for the mesh.
                https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ahzmjc33i...n2dretH2LOHkla

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
                Probably a low lightmap resolution is causing it -> choose a higher value (e.g 128)
                I have played with the resolution, gone so far as high as 512.

Comment

As far as I can see your lightmaps are overlapping -> create a 2nd uv channel with proper lightmaps

Name:	lightmap.jpg
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	1052079

green -> your mesh with overlapping lightmap
                  red -> your mesh with correct lightmap

2nd uv + lightmap = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5yc-bKbHyc

Comment

I have hade sure that the UVs are not overlapping and that the spacing between them are 3 pixels, but I still get the effect.

Name:	Spacedoor01.jpg
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	1052151

What is my brain missing?

Comment

Do you have any reflections or other lights reflecting? What material are you using? I had a similar problem at one point but I think I fixed it, that was at the point I was just trying stuff out.

Comment

In the test scene I have posted I only have one light and use WorldGridMaterial, I have tried other materials but I get the same effect.

Comment

128 is maybe a little low resolution for your lightmap, try something higher.

Comment

I have tried with 128, 256, 512, 1024 and 2048 resolution and I still get the same result.

Comment

I wold guess your doors there are added as movable objects?.

With movers your light map UV's are of no real use since a mover is lit and shadowed dynamically by default. The "lit from the back problem" I think is caused because I think your mesh is too thin. There are accuracy issues when it comes to self shadowing and that door model is really thin. I suggest you make it like 2x to 4x thicker. But I guess do it incrementally until it works. The idea is to get those cut in details further apart.
                              Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Forum Thread -- Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Demo v0.02a

Comment

Working...
                              X