Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I "blend" a mesh (static or animated) into the sky ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was experimenting with this past weekend and I kinda got results I needed (similar to my video made with old engine).

However, the issue now that my sky sphere is unlit material, while same sky sphere image blended with terrain material is Default Lit. With that, you can still see the edge of the mesh, even though it looks like terrain blends gradually into sky.

Having default lit material, is it possible to make one of the several textures being blended via vertex colors to appear unlit? (this way it will match perfectly with unlit sky material material)

Thanks

Comment

You should be able to simply lerp to your emissive cubemap while lerping to 0 for basecolor and specular on that material and it should just work. Just use worldposition for the UVs of the cubemap. Paragon used something similar to have tall rock spires disappear up into the sky.
      Ryan Brucks
      Principal Technical Artist, Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB View Post
        You should be able to simply lerp to your emissive cubemap while lerping to 0 for basecolor and specular on that material and it should just work. Just use worldposition for the UVs of the cubemap. Paragon used something similar to have tall rock spires disappear up into the sky.
        Did that too, but hue of the blended sky sphere doesn't match hue of the actual sky sphere. Blender sky sphere is more vivid for no apparent reason (except maybe due to lightmaps).

I'll post my setup here after I get off work.

Comment

If the sky itself is also the same cubemap then I am not sure what the issue would be, other than perhaps different values of fog being written for each surface. Try disabling all fog for now.
          Ryan Brucks
          Principal Technical Artist, Epic Games

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB View Post
            If the sky itself is also the same cubemap then I am not sure what the issue would be, other than perhaps different values of fog being written for each surface. Try disabling all fog for now.
            Ah, that was the thing!!! Thanks! I totally forgot I had "fog" tint on the sky sphere. Works like a charm now!

Comment

Working...
            X