No shadow when i build lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shadow when i build lighting

Hey guys. Has any of you experienced this issue?

I build the lighting without any error message. The object looks fine but there are no shadows.
    But if i then move the objects, shadows appear. But i think this is just "preview" shadows because once i go into play mode, I get the message saying that lighting has to be built.

Here you can see images of my object after it is built without shadows and after i have moved it; http://imgur.com/a/iMjY9

I have tried setting the lightmap resolution to 8, 64 and 128. I tried building in preview, medium and production. I still get the same result every time.

I have a custom lightmap that i created in 3ds max. Here is a picture of the lightmap;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LightmapUV.png
Views:	1
Size:	586.6 KB
ID:	1175613

As you can see, it is quite clear that there is no overlapping. The lightmaps used to be different but i even resized them and put them all really far away from eachother just to make sure that there is no way that they could cause any issue.

I am very thankful if any of you would have any suggestions. I am quite stuck here trying to figure out what may be the issue.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

First of all you are wasting toooooooo much UV space , check out some tutorials about light map creation in UE4 for better understanding.
    Why do you need baked lighting on a helmet ? It's a moving part for you character right ? So i would set the helmet from static to movable.

I guess you mean the shadows on the ground are not bulding ? If yes just increase the lightmap resolution of your groun. Your helmet is tiny and the current lightmap resolution of your ground simply can't catch the details.
    Last edited by A-J-K; 03-05-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for your answer! I didn't know that the lightmap resolution of the ground/wall actually mattered. I increased the lightmap resolution and it works!

I know that the helmet should be movable but it is for an assignment for university and so creating a lightmap was a requirement for the assignment wether i created a helmet or anything else.
      I also have another lightmap where i did not waste all of this space haha. I just re-scaled the lightmap just to make sure that the issue was not caused by overlapping. at first i thought that the issue was caused by overlapping uv's.

Comment

Working...
      X