No announcement yet.

POM Decal | Decal rotation screws up POM effect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what was the actual outcome for this? Did you ever get it working? I've been randomly plugging stuff around to try to make a POM decal on landscape slopes work but not having much luck. I can get everything looking good, but not from angles lower than the decal itself.

Comment

Since we have hear a nice POM talk RyanB are they any plans to improve the POM shaders in near future ? They are still a lot of issues/limitations especially when using the POM with silhouette sahder...

Comment

I seem to of cracked it with some slight changes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	POM_Decal_rotation_test.gif
Views:	1
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	1663749

What I currently have seems to work regardless of the rotation, or the rotation of the mesh I parented the decals to. the colors are per-pixel normals connected to emissive.

I basically followed RyanB's advice with ultimately one change, using an InverseTransformMatrix instead of a Transform3x3Matrix.

This is what my POM matfunction looks like, everything outside the box is identical to the default epic parallax matfunction:

Name:	POM_decal_matfunction.png
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1663750
        Heads up though, I did multiply my X vector by -1 to flip it (but not Y and Z), you may also have to flip vectors depending on what the rotation of your decal actor looks like inside the blueprint (my decal actor was 0,-90,0 inside the root).

And this is what my blueprint looks like, I just got this working so I didnt optimize this between construction a event instructions yet.

Name:	POM_decal_blueprint.png
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1663751
        In this case, I am using GetActorTransform, of the decal actor (Decal Dent) inside the BP and breaking it, GetActorRotation also works, I just needed the full transform for other things elsewhere on my BP.

Comment

Working...
        X