Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black shadows along landscape seems

Hello,

I am playing around with importing height maps. I am sure I am no doing it right yet but one of the most obvious problems I seem to have is that there are obviously wrong shadows along the seems of my landscapes.
    After I hit "build" it builds the lighting and then the black shadows appear near the borders.
    I have added ImportanceVolumes for each of my tiles (there was an error at first which is fixed now).
    Am I missing something else ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	black_border.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1135097

My first guess is that they are overlapping. What happens when you distance them apart?
    Crystal Flux a Snowboarding Shooter:https://twitter.com/GadzGamz
    Pinball Template:http://www.pinterest.com/gadzgamz/pinball-template/
    Hot Springs Air Hockey: Hot Springs
    Latest release: Bonsai Golf Coral

Comment

sorry for the delay, I didn't have time lately.
      It is not overlapping terrain.

here another two screenshots

Name:	lit.jpg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1051955

Name:	wireframe.jpg
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	1051956

all I do is create a new map , import two heightmaps (following the documentation rules regarding landscape sizes i.e. 1009x1009)
      then I align them and rebuild lights.

on both landscapes I set the static light resolution from 1.0 to 4.0 (as suggested in some other forum threads)

any suggestion would be appreciated!

Comment

It seems to be the lightmap resolution still not high enough, comparing the screenshots in your first and second posts. Instead of using separate 1k landscapes i'd go for a single 2k one though.

Edit: Btw, try a single lightmass importance volume covering both landscape then build the lights again and see if it helps.
        FREE VR Drum Kit Project
        FREE Color LUT Collection
        FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
        FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
        Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
        Camera Crossfade

Comment

I have put an importance volume around the two terrains, didn't really change much.
          I have now put the static resolution from 4.0 to 10.0 not sure how long it will take to build.

the reason why I use smaller terrains is just because its a test right now - eventually I want to setup a streamed terrain made of several chunks of landscapes.

Comment

okay so after my unreal crashed when trying to build with 10.0 I tried again with a resolution of 8.0 and the result is the same :-/

Name:	another.jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1051957

Comment

Anyone knows how I can fix this? I tried again in the 4.3 preview and I still get these weird artefact shadows along the seems of my terrains

Comment

Is it possible for you to upload the map somewhere so that we can take a look at it/try some stuff ?

Comment

I sent you a private message with a simple test project.

Comment

Ok, I will take a look at it

Comment

As far as I can see you just have to work more carefully Those shadows will appear when some of the landscape parts aren't connected very well:

Name:	landscape_light.jpg
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	1052584

The red part was overworked by me and as you can see, no wrong shadows are there.

How I did it:
                      1. First of all import your landscapes
                      2. make sure that the part, where the landscapes are connected, is overlapping a little bit
                      3. now decrease (erosion tool), increase or smooth the overlapping seams so that they are connected very well

Comment

Oh oh that would be a problem though because my terrains are created in Wold machine.
                        That would mean I need to go through all my terrains and manually fix them... ouch!

What lighting resolution did you use?

Ps:nvm just saw its 1.0

Comment

Actually the standard resolution ^^ (1.0)

Edit:

Yep, you already saw it

Comment

Have you tried placing those landscapes with World Browser and see how lighting builds like that?
                            FREE VR Drum Kit Project
                            FREE Color LUT Collection
                            FREE Physics Driven Spacecraft Project
                            FREE GTA Style Vehicle Interaction
                            Dynamic DoF(Depth of Field)
                            Camera Crossfade

Comment

how did you modify both terrains with the smooth tool and guarantee that they share the same vertex height for each vertex along the seam ?

when I try use the smooth tool it only modifies the "current" terrain.

Comment

Working...
                              X