• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the roughness of the material.

Comment

NasteX - Thanks, I will try that.

Comment

NasteX- Hello, my reflection problem is still not solved. I want to have a soft blurry reflection on my wooden floor. Planar reflection does not solve this problem because I can not get soft blurry reflections with it. SSR causes reflection problem at the edge of the screen. Maybe it is possible to modify the ScreenSpaceRayCast.ush code so that Unreal captures not only what is seen on screen but a bit more to solve the edge reflection problem. SSR causes edge blending and that does not look very realistic. It could be this line of code that causes edge blending:
        float2 Vignette = saturate( abs( ScreenPos ) * 5 - 4 );

Comment

Its a bit weird that planar reflections doesnt work for you tbh. You also have to remember that real-time rendering have very big limitations that offline rendereres doesn have. You must always think out of the box and decide on workarounds.

If you want, you can create a video showcasing your problem, I just cannot understand how planar reflections doesnt work for you.

For the project, are you thinking using VR or such? If performance is not a issue, you could try the raytraced reflections. But yet, I suspect that your workflow with the sphere reflection captures and planar captures is wrong. You have to show us more, even it will be best that you make a simple level that showcase your problem and send it to me.

Edit: Just remembered that SSR have console commands for quality - r.SSR.Quality = 4 (4 being the top quality).
          Last edited by NasteX; 01-24-2020, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal_ArchViz View Post
            NasteX- Hello, my reflection problem is still not solved. I want to have a soft blurry reflection on my wooden floor. Planar reflection does not solve this problem because I can not get soft blurry reflections with it. SSR causes reflection problem at the edge of the screen. Maybe it is possible to modify the ScreenSpaceRayCast.ush code so that Unreal captures not only what is seen on screen but a bit more to solve the edge reflection problem. SSR causes edge blending and that does not look very realistic. It could be this line of code that causes edge blending:
            float2 Vignette = saturate( abs( ScreenPos ) * 5 - 4 );
            You can indeed modify it to wrap reflection coordinates instead of clamping them.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrey View Post

You can indeed modify it to wrap reflection coordinates instead of clamping them.
              Do you know what the code would be to get the best results / more realistic look around the edge? Is there a solution without changing the code to get better reflection on a soft blurry wooden floor?
              Last edited by Unreal_ArchViz; 01-24-2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Unreal_ArchViz I mean I use my free time to give you solutions but you dont follow them well... So asking other peoples to help you will get you the same results. Just make a video and show us your problem. We can only speculate all the time of the world in this thread. Everything I have written in the post #29 is the solution, if it didnt work so you are doing something wrong, or your expectations are not in any way realistic for a real-time engine.

Comment

NasteX - I followed all your instructions. But the problem here is that SSR fades in and out at the edge of my walls, then light comes through. If I use planar reflection, then this problem is solved and i get a perfect shiny reflecting floor. But I don't want that, I need a wooden floor with soft and blurry reflections. Changing the roughness of my material does not help with planar reflections. In another thread someone is also searching how to get soft blurry reflections using planar reflection. Thanks really for your help but this does not solve my problem with my floor material.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal_ArchViz View Post

Do you know what the code would be to get the best results / more realistic look around the edge? Is there a solution without changing the code to get better reflection on a soft blurry wooden floor?
                    I do indeed, but most important here, why would you rely so much on SSR in arch viz ? If you have a really noticeable difference between SSR and cubemap reflections, it firstly points at likelihood of wrong reflection environment setup. Why do you need plannar reflection at all ? What stops you from using reflection captures ?

Comment

Alright, I just tested this, I have no problems with making the planar reflections to be blurry. I have the feeling that you forgot to uncheck the "Show preview plane" and this being the reason you dont see the roughness of the material doing any visual changes. Check my screenshot below for reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	planarreflection.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1712767

Comment

I have a scene with reflection captures and ssr enabled. NasteX - Yes, I unchecked this option.

Comment

So let's begin again... I have a box reflection capture that covers the entire scene. Next I enabled SSR and set the intensity to 100, the quality to 100 and max roughness to 1.
                          My goal is to get a soft blurry wooden floor like this: WithoutPlanarReflection.pdf The problem: I get some wrong reflections at the edge of the screen like under the sofa --> it should be dark.

After placing a planar reflection capture in my scene on my floor i get something like this: WithPlanarReflection.pdf The problem: I get strange white lines around the wall, the floor is too shiny and not soft like on the image WithoutPlanarReflection.pdf
                          Fixes: it fixes the edge problem and under the sofa is dark what i expected.

Comment

What happens in the original scene if you put just a simple editor box mesh to where the wall is?

Comment

Originally posted by jonimake View Post
                              What happens in the original scene if you put just a simple editor box mesh to where the wall is?
                              I put a editor box mesh to where the walls are and this makes no difference because I already have double sided walls.

Comment

Working...
                              X