No announcement yet.

Interesting post from AnswerHub on how to setup a Layer Car Paint shader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill second that request please, it looks really good!

Comment

Wow, that looks really nice. Good job, Stimpanzee! Hope marriage is going well and you'll be able to knock out a tutorial soon Thanks!

Comment

Yeah, can't wait to have your most recent setup to play with !
        Yup, proudly writing in European B2-class English.
        All grammar mistakes are under copyright protection from my english teacher. Thank you for her.

Comment

Sorry it's been so long since I was last here, guys. I've had a crazy summer - just started teaching a college course as well, but... I'm working on a detailed tutorial which will be finished in the next few days! Didn't mean to keep everyone hanging on this one for so long. Once it's finished, any developer will be able to construct my shader system. =)

-Vince

Comment

That sounds awesome! Thanks a lot for all of this Vince!
            Free Community Ocean & Sky Project || Join us on Discord! || Trello Roadmap

Comment

Alright, the tutorial will be out tomorrow! The plan was to finish it tonight, but I found a few areas where the system needed a little more attention.

For now, here is a small example of the versatility of the shader. With a little experimentation using instances, it is possible to simulate most types of car paint surfaces.
              This link is to a small gallery of the shader in use on a motorcycle asset, with more advanced lighting.
              http://imgur.com/a/f8tnM

Comment

Alright, the tutorial is complete! It's still a little rough, so you will have to forgive me for the spelling/grammatical errors.
                If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me.

http://www.caferaces.com/p/tutorials.html

Good luck everyone!
                -Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpanzee View Post
                  Alright, the tutorial is complete! It's still a little rough, so you will have to forgive me for the spelling/grammatical errors.
                  If you have any questions or comments, feel free to message me.

http://www.caferaces.com/p/tutorials.html

Good luck everyone!
                  -Vince
                  Thank You, Thank You! I just quickly skimmed through, and found it is in my favorite format for material tutorials, Written with pictures!

I will be starting the tutorial in the morning tomorrow, and will give you some feedback (and maybe some cool photos you can use to see how it looks on mine as I go through it (and try it out ).

But again, thank you so much for all of your hard work, and for sharing it with all of use, it looks fantastic! and will be extremely valuable for my car racing game I have in the works!!

Comment

-Continuing work on the car paint shader-

I've started to increase the versatility of the car paint shader. I am adding features like color masking and maybe even a grunge/rust layer. It's a little intense at the moment but I think the hard work will be worth it!

Comment

Hey guys, I've made a lot of progress with a masking system and currently putting together a grunge/rust layer system based on vertex color.

I also solved the issue which was preventing normal maps from affecting the reflections. So orange peel! Here is a little sneak peak at what's now possible with an instance of the material.

Attached Files
                      Last edited by Stimpanzee; 09-29-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

A little side project, for you all of you modern car materials people!

Click image for larger version

Name:	r2Mz9dl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	1057234

Comment

I've been doing a little work, revisiting transparency with my updated reflections and masking system. It is able to produce some good looking glass! I'm putting together a package to send to the marketplace. It will include: 3 variations of the car paint materiel, 3 variations of carbon fiber, and the new glass shader.

Here is a little look at an updated car paint model with the glass shader.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PUiqQNo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	839.1 KB
ID:	1057486

Comment

I've been doing a little work, revisiting transparency with my updated reflections and masking system. It is able to produce some good looking glass! I'm putting together a package to send to the marketplace. It will include: 3 variations of the car paint materiel, 3 variations of carbon fiber, and the new glass shader.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13425[/ATTACH]
                            Looking great and glad to see you are back working on it Stimpanzee! And also hope your wedding went great bud

I've been working a little here and there on a good car paint material and it's not too bad. The metallic flakes aren't 100% and I'm actually doing some emissive boost to get them to pop however it doesn't look natural once you get close to it. I stepped away from it but want to come back to it shortly. Are you planning on distributing the material with the textures publically? I personally would love to see the normal maps you are using and how you go about composing the metallic flakes and getting them to pop based on the normal of a given flake and/or using the camera vector node.

A guy did this for Siggraph 2014 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHT82-KYhRw) and I want to try and dig a little further in his paper and try to see if this is possible for real-time. Anyways, great progress and hope you are enjoying the weekend! Take it easy bud.

Edit: Looks like you already did release the tutorial! Great work Stimpanzee and I'll need to link with you and get you an updated version of my Joystick Plugin to nail out the remaining issues but glad to see you got it up, going to read it now!
                            Last edited by MC Stryker; 10-05-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Nice work, looks really good!

Comment

Looking really good Stimpanzee!! It's been a while since I have been able to work on the shader I created from your tutorial, however clearly you have made some great progress! The glass & carbon fiber additions looks really good man, nice work.

I think I recognize the emblem (and the shape of the car fits the model)... Is that a Pontiac Firebird I see?

Comment

Working...
                                X