Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Blurred glass material is impossible in Unreal Engine 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You have to check: focal distance, focal region, near transition, far transition (all set to 0), near blur, far blur (set to whatever >0).
    Select Gaussian DOF to have a nice regular blur.
    Check unbound too, so you don't have to walk in to see the effect.
    Set your postprocess material to "aftertonemapping".
    For the rest, I don't know. It should work.
    Something to dig, for sure.
    Last edited by EdWasHere; 02-01-2016, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yep. Here is a screenshot. Also the before and after effect of walking through the Volume:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-01_FGlass03.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1099695

Before walking into the Post Processing Volume:

Name:	2016-02-01_FGlass04.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1099696

After walking into the Post Processing Volume:

Name:	2016-02-01_FGlass05.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1099697

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Did you activate depth of field in your screencapture postprocess settings?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, added a regular glass shader to my window. But the Post Process Volume still only replaces my entire view with the ScreneCature2D camera's results. Guess I'll have to dig deeper. Thanks for the feedback!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With this setup, nothing is supposed to appear on your glass, it is supposed to blur a part of the screen once the postprocess material is added as blendable to a camera or a postprocess volume - see post 12 and image result.
    For the rest, I don't plan to make a tutorial about these glasses shaders.
    Last edited by EdWasHere; 02-01-2016, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ed,

Yes, that resolved the error message I was getting. But I think I am missing a step to get the Post Process Material to appear on my glass. Using the post process material causes my object to display in gray checker. As if I didn't apply a material to it. I also tried created a Post Process Volume with the material added into the "Blendables" section of my Post Process Volume. This only caused my camera to be replaced with the SceneCapture2D when I walked into the Post Process Volume.

Am I missing a step to get this material to apply to my object?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, you need to add a componentmask node between PPInput0 and multiply, with only "A" checked. That should do the trick.
    Last edited by EdWasHere; 02-01-2016, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When using the Rendertarget I am getting an error in the "Add" node. I am assuming I need to convert the PostProcessInput0 to a float 3 type or the rendertarget to float4?

Name:	2016-02-01_FGlass01.jpg
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	1099690

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Simple example: see post 12. Instead of the scenetexture:scenecolor node, put your rendertarget by drag & drop from the content browser.
    You're welcome!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    EdWasHere,

Thanks for replying. Would you mind showing an example of the LDR method? I can setup a scenecapture2D, but Im not sure how to utilize this with the capture2D to make the glass blur. Perhaps a screenshot of your blueprint? Really appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think you can't do it anymore without dowloading source from Github and modifying source code.
    But you can replace the scenecolor node by a render target set to LDR. In this case, you have to use a scenecapture2D actor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just discovered this thread. EdWasHere, very nicely done. I'm curious what your solution for the "SceneColor" no longer working on 4.10 to create a frosted glass. Without having to download from Github. Are you willing to share your most recent blueprint for frosted glass? So far I think your solution works well from what I have seen. I just can't reproduce it from the error message on my SceneTexture:SceneColor.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mirror Shader, now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Otherwise: new video

Tinted glasses blending their colors when seen one through the other.
    With specular, shadows, refraction, reflections.
    Postprocess material again.
    Notice how the yellow glass refracts what's behind, including the edges of the red glass itself (which doesn't happen
    if you simply put 2 refractives meshes in a level: what's behind the glasses will be refracted twice but the shape of the second mesh won't be refracted by the first as you could expect).

And now: let's go for a mirror shader...
    Last edited by EdWasHere; 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    By the way:

Did anyone see this? https://youtu.be/xkDBzt0_ZMU?t=48

At around 0:48 they have a steamed up piece of glass with what appears to be a mask dictating how blurred the background is. Does anyone know how this was accomplished?
    They give some partial informations here:

http://forums.ronenbekerman.com/show...?t=8488&page=4

The screenshot of their material is not big enough to clearly see the whole setup but it seems they use the same technique as ryanb in it's blurring node (offsetting pixels several times and averaging them to blur).
    Last edited by EdWasHere; 01-21-2016, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X