Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darker surfaces from lighting? Materials stretching on BSPs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darker surfaces from lighting? Materials stretching on BSPs?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the engine so please bear with me if these are some pretty basic things, I wasn't able to find a solution elsewhere yet.

1. My first issue stems from lighting. I have a basic box shaped room at the moment made of 5 separate BSP brushes, all have the same material applied with the same settings. When I put a directional light in the scene however the walls have some pretty drastically different brightness values despite looking to be under roughly the same amount of light/shadow. Is this just how it is? Am I missing something? (see attached image, the back wall in the lit corner). I also can't seem to get indirect light bounce count to make any sort of visible difference.

2. I'm having a strange issue with my materials being stretched out across my BSP brushes randomly. It looks almost like the UVs were flattened or something. However if I click around on some options (like rotate 90 degrees four times, click the flip U or flip V button a couple times) and then move the bsp, it goes back to normal; even if I undo the move.

I'm on 4.7.3.
    Attached Files

2. does this happen after the light build? -> that's a known bug and will be fixed in 4.7.4

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
      2. does this happen after the light build? -> that's a known bug and will be fixed in 4.7.4
      Hm...It might be after light builds. I guess I never connected the two, seemed random. Glad to know it's known about though!

Comment

As for the first problem I originally posted about; it becomes a lot more obvious once I've lightened the scene up a bit (first image). Part of me wants to think this is just how the lighting is, but it looks pretty unnatural to me. Also, if I turn the entire scene so the side with no wall (behind the camera from these shots) is facing toward where the directional light is coming from the back is still darker than the rest. I thought that maybe this is an issue with BSPs some how, so I converted the brush to a static mesh, but this doesn't seem to get any lighting/shadow information at all (second image) from the directional light unless it's set to "movable". Even with it set to movable static mesh I can't seem to get the shadow/lighting resolution to match the adjacent BSPs.

I feel like I'm missing something really basic, but I'm not sure what it would be.
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X