Ideal Lightmap Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal Lightmap Resolutions

I understand that the resolution for lightmap (default 64) is dependent on the object. But what is the best way to know the ideal resolution for each object? For example, if I have a square floor thats about 20' x 20' should this have a lightmap resolution of 1024 or higher? Then if I have a small object such as a desk on that floor, should it have a smaller resolution of like 128 or lower? Or is it entirely depended on the size of my lightmap UV layout and how it looks during Lightmap build?

Basically is there a rule-of-thumb that you should never go higher than 1024 or something? Or a workflow of - start low, test, increase until it looks good enough?

Thanks
    Eldridge Felder

Animation/Visualization Manager
    WorthGroup Architects

Flat planar objects can actually have a pretty low lightmap resolution since they are super efficient at using the UV space.

But there's no set rules to go by, one surface could have a really low resolution, but another could require a higher resolution because there's more things casting shadows on it.

Best rule of thumb is to use as low as possible.

Comment

Thanks Darth Viper, I just saw a video that did a good job of explaining the resolutions and your answer also sums up my question.

Thanks for answering!
      Eldridge Felder

WorthGroup Architects

Comment

Originally posted by Teriander View Post
        I understand that the resolution for lightmap (default 64) is dependent on the object. But what is the best way to know the ideal resolution for each object? For example, if I have a square floor thats about 20' x 20' should this have a lightmap resolution of 1024 or higher? Then if I have a small object such as a desk on that floor, should it have a smaller resolution of like 128 or lower? Or is it entirely depended on the size of my lightmap UV layout and how it looks during Lightmap build?

Basically is there a rule-of-thumb that you should never go higher than 1024 or something? Or a workflow of - start low, test, increase until it looks good enough?

Thanks
        A rule that I always follow is to start out as small as possible and then move up in size as needed. There is no point in making a light map 128 or 256 when a 64 or 32 will do just fine.

Comment

Sam,

Yes, that seems like the ideal solution. I've also learned how to properly space my LightMap UVs to keep them from bleeding into each other, this helps a lot. At first I was increasing the resolution to hide bleeds, that was just masking my problem instead of solving it. Today has been an unreal learning experience!
          Eldridge Felder

WorthGroup Architects

Comment

Working...
          X