No announcement yet.

[Dynamic GI in UE4] Unity 5 Free with Enlighten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I downloaded the U3D5 PLE yesterday and had a go with it. Wasn't exactly blown away. The dynamic indirect only works on static objects, which is nice, but not really that impressive. Having it work with fully dynamic scenes however would be much more impressive - and it seems like the Subway demo Geometrics posted on their YouTube channel covers that - and in the massively more workflow-friendly Unreal Editor...

Comment

Originally posted by Crow87 View Post
      I downloaded the U3D5 PLE yesterday and had a go with it. Wasn't exactly blown away. The dynamic indirect only works on static objects, which is nice, but not really that impressive. Having it work with fully dynamic scenes however would be much more impressive - and it seems like the Subway demo Geometrics posted on their YouTube channel covers that - and in the massively more workflow-friendly Unreal Editor...
      The subway demo is also mostly static geometry. I believe Unreal's own good-old irradiance cache is used for dynamic objects (like the rocks in the demo)(even if it's not the irradiance cache, the lighting on the rocks looks considerably worse than on the precalculated static geo). AFAIK any Enlighten integration requires precalculation for static objects, no matter which integration/engine.

P.S. If anyone could direct me to how and where to download VXGI for Unreal, I'd be most appreciative. (EDIT!: Apprently, through GitHub. Oh well.)
      Last edited by ZuiQuan; 03-05-2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZuiQuan View Post
        P.S. If anyone could direct me to how and where to download VXGI for Unreal, I'd be most appreciative.
        I am interested in this as well.

Comment

For VXGI:
          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post213061
          Follow these steps, but instead of Flex use VXGI (it's the same process).
          When executing setup.bat (or .sh/.command) select "No" when it asks to overwrite your changed files (the Nvidia branch comes with an own nvapi as far as I remember it).

Greetings,
          Dakraid

Comment

Originally posted by Chariots
            Enlighten requires static geometry, anything that is spawned at runtime cannot influence the GI, and if you delete any static geometry during runtime, it will continue to participate in GI. In time, Unity could add some limited runtime modification, but fundamentally, Enlighten requires static geometry, so any changes or movements during runtime would have to be precomputed as well. Unity uses it as a baking/preview tool and a sort of hybrid DGI, and that suits it very well.

DFGI and LPV are true dynamic solutions. Good or bad, they work with any geometry thrown at them, static or not doesn't really matter to them. I'm not sure about how VXGI goes about this, but it is supposed to be more dynamic than SVOGI, maybe someone can chime in about how it works with runtime generated geometry?
            VXGI uses cascaded 3d textures (as voxel structures), where color values are directly written to and the textures are directly read in a forward shader by cone tracing. This makes it about a magnitude faster than SVOGI because it doesn't need to do any complicated octree traversals (which was very expensive). Now voxelization is the fastest part of the algorithm and from my own tests, is comparatively negligible.

The cascades are just different LOD 3D textures, in VXGI, these are view dependent so immediately surrounding the viewer and the direction of view, the most hi-res 3D texture is used, then cascaded over it is a series of larger lower-res 3D textures, which allows for objects further away to still receive GI, but at a lesser detail. This is almost exactly the same technology as that used in the Tomorrow Children (except they don't use view-dependency because it does produce artifacts).

It is fully dynamic - when you add geometry to the scene, its color values immediately overwrite the original color values in that space in the voxel textures - so you can use textures that have all sorts of colors, which will be captured in detail in the voxel textures. You can have a texture that has a pattern of thin lines as a different color, then set that as emissive to get detailed emissive lighting.
            Last edited by gboxentertainment; 03-05-2015, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X