Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightmass ambient occlusion applies to backfaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmass ambient occlusion applies to backfaces?

Tl;dr I made a couch with cushions. The cushions make ambient occlusion on the outside of the couch.

I've fiddled with some Lightmass settings but I don't want to end up abandoning my ambient occlusion to avoid some stupid shadows. The cushions on my couch intersect the inside face by a little bit, but I would think Lightmass would ignore the backface of the outside. The side of the couch is also pretty thin, so setting my Occlusion Distance to a puny amount would make the whole AO thing pretty negligible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LightmassAO.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1139117
    Theia Interactive makes immersive VR experiences in collaboration with the world’s leading companies and creatives, leveraging this bleeding edge technology to pioneer the next generation of entertainment, storytelling, and customer engagement.

I typically don't like bumping, but I feel like this is an important issue that people might search for.
    Theia Interactive makes immersive VR experiences in collaboration with the world’s leading companies and creatives, leveraging this bleeding edge technology to pioneer the next generation of entertainment, storytelling, and customer engagement.

Comment

I've experienced this as well. Although in my case I did not use lightmass AO, instead it was the secondary lighting leaking through to the other side of a thin object.

My guess would be that there is some kind of issue with the way lightmass interpolates between samples, but at the time I was not able to find a solution and had to work around it instead. If anyone knows how to solve this, I would be quite interested to know as well.

Comment

It's been almost 2 weeks, but after playing with a lot of lighting settings for different reasons this problem disappeared. I figured I would let future searchers know how I fixed it. Like Arnage said, it wasn't AO like I thought, but the indirect lighting. I'm not sure what his work-around was, but I ended up decreasing the Static Lighting Level scale to .8 to get more detailed light calculations. I also cranked up the indirect lighting quality to 4, so the Global Illumination is stunning. I was scared that my geometry was the problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightmass_fixed.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1058095
        Last edited by StephaBon; 10-22-2014, 05:24 PM. Reason: Added image

Comment

Working...
        X