Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom skylight/cubemap for material/mesh

Hi everyone!

I searched on google and in this forum, but couldn't find a solution for my problem. Maybe someone has an idea:

There are some elements of my level (which will be in a sublevel) that should receive the light and reflections from a different skylight/hdr/cubemap. Baking would be a solution, but the elements will be dynamic and I would like to have a more flexible solution without baking.

Right now I have captured a cubemap from this skylight/hdr but I'm missing the final link to apply this cubemap only on specific elements :/ Applying the cubemap like a enviroment map to the materials would be also a way. Is there a shader solutions out there which has a nice result?

Using a reflection probe actor and list the elements that should be effects would be also nice. But there is no such list

There is a post process which could be applied to my elements via a mask. But as I understood this will result just in an additive blending from a custom cubemap.

Thank you for any ideas!

Best regards
    Ioannis Mihailidis
    Last edited by daGriech; 09-14-2020, 08:39 AM.

You could solve the lighting via the light channels. There are two reflection nodes in the Material Editor but I have no idea how to use them. Maybe you can use it to tinker a cube map into the emissive input of the material.

Comment

Originally posted by daGriech View Post
      Hi everyone!

I searched on google and in this forum, but couldn't find a solution for my problem. Maybe someone has an idea:

There are some elements of my level (which will be in a sublevel) that should receive the light and reflections from a different skylight/hdr/cubemap. Baking would be a solution, but the elements will be dynamic and I would like to have a more flexible solution without baking.

Right now I have captured a cubemap from this skylight/hdr but I'm missing the final link to apply this cubemap only on specific elements :/ Applying the cubemap like a enviroment map to the materials would be also a way. Is there a shader solutions out there which has a nice result?

Using a reflection probe actor and list the elements that should be effects would be also nice. But there is no such list

There is a post process which could be applied to my elements via a mask. But as I understood this will result just in an additive blending from a custom cubemap.

Thank you for any ideas!

Best regards
      Ioannis Mihailidis
      If it is in a sublevel, or an isolated enough area, maybe you could switch between cubemaps for the skylight during entering this particular sublevel/area. Like this:

Comment

this is basically the classic indoor-outdoor problem

check out this thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...nside-lighting
        I wrote a reply there listing potential solutions for this problem
        Follow me on Twitter!
        Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
        Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Working...
        X