AOV / passes workflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOV / passes workflow

Good Day. I come from a film vfx background and I'm looking at implementing UE in the pipeline, as are many others.
    Is there a reference regarding how to set up AOVs, holdouts, object passes? I have not yet found one

Thanks

lor

Originally posted by LordOfRadiance View Post
    Good Day. I come from a film vfx background and I'm looking at implementing UE in the pipeline, as are many others.
    Is there a reference regarding how to set up AOVs, holdouts, object passes? I have not yet found one

Thanks

lor
    Not being from your background, can you explain those terms? They're way to vague to google...

Comment

Oh. Apologies, I thought there were more vfx people already looking at UE. AOV refers to the different layers of light including for example, specular reflection, diffuse reflection, transparency, sss, and emit layers. Normally we render them separately so we can have deep aesthetic control in compositing. A holdout pass is a little harder to explain. you make a mesh (like a character) zero black and zero alpha in cases where you are rendering some other asset that is both in front and behind, like snow or smoke. The holdout permits us to render the snow or smoke separately and composite it atop the character. Probably confusing, sorry about that. Object passes simply mean if I have an environment, a horse and an airplane, I want to render them separately for later compositing control. We also do per-light passes. So if there is a sun and a sky, we will render each object twice, once for sun and once for sky, which gives us great contrast and colour control in compositing.

I am hearing that UE is going to make render farms obsolete, so that's what I'm here to find out.

lor

Comment

LordOfRadiance - I haven't experimented with it yet, but you may want to try this from the Sequencer:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...***/index.html

Comment

BrianAllenHill This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

lor

Comment

Working...
          X