Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landscape | 3 Textures Blend (Beginner Question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape | 3 Textures Blend (Beginner Question)

Hello everybody,

still in the beginning of Unreal Engine (Learning since half a year).

I am trying out the Landscape mode, especially painting 3 textures on it.
    Have checked two very good tutorials about setting up the material functions of each texture, then combining it in one Material node, and creating the Material Instance to get it on the material.

Because of checking two tutorials, and getting the same result, I need your help. When I am painting two textures, everything is good. But when I am adding the additional third texture, the landscape is moving to its default gray preview mode and nothing happens.

Every texture is assigned the same way in the graph.

I can upload some pictures of the nodes itself, but maybe this is an easy answer, with just looking at the picture and reading my text.

Thank you very much, greetings Frederick

Originally posted by FrederickSkate View Post
    Hello everybody,

still in the beginning of Unreal Engine (Learning since half a year).

I am trying out the Landscape mode, especially painting 3 textures on it.
    Have checked two very good tutorials about setting up the material functions of each texture, then combining it in one Material node, and creating the Material Instance to get it on the material.

Because of checking two tutorials, and getting the same result, I need your help. When I am painting two textures, everything is good. But when I am adding the additional third texture, the landscape is moving to its default gray preview mode and nothing happens.

Every texture is assigned the same way in the graph.

I can upload some pictures of the nodes itself, but maybe this is an easy answer, with just looking at the picture and reading my text.

Thank you very much, greetings Frederick

You've run out of texture space. Just click on each texture in the material and change 'sampler source' to 'shared wrap'...

Comment

Originally posted by ClockworkOcean View Post

You've run out of texture space. Just click on each texture in the material and change 'sampler source' to 'shared wrap'...
      Absolut top-notch! Thank you again ClockworkOcean for answering so fast. It worked perfectly. Because I am so happy, I had to post the picture of the three materials applied to the landscape. Beautiful art... Not... :-D
      - I was watching one tutorial about the "sampler source", and I am curios, would you apply the "shared wrap" to every texture sample? In this case, I have for each material four textures (BaseColor, Roughness, Normal, Displacement). And of course the three materials I mentioned before. Or could the "texture sampler" be too big.

Thank you, greetings Frederick

Comment

Absolut top-notch! Thank you again ClockworkOcean for answering so fast. It worked perfectly. Because I am so happy, I had to post the picture of the three materials applied to the landscape. Beautiful art... Not... :-D
        - I was watching one tutorial about the "sampler source", and I am curios, would you apply the "shared wrap" to every texture sample? In this case, I have for each material four textures (BaseColor, Roughness, Normal, Displacement). And of course the three materials I mentioned before. Or could the "texture sampler" be too big.

Thank you, greetings Frederick
        It's a map of Australia!

Well, they're all textures, so you can. But you only have to go far enough to get it working again...

Comment

Originally posted by ClockworkOcean View Post

It's a map of Australia!

Well, they're all textures, so you can. But you only have to go far enough to get it working again...
          Perfect. Thank you! True, Australia, serendipity!

Just one additional question asking not relating to textures. But when I am working on my landscapes, I recognize that sometimes when flying back the shape changes little bit. Especially the higher mountains. Like a morphing feeling. I think this is a standard issue, so asking, but couldn't find the solution in video tutorials.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you! True, Australia, serendipity!

Just one additional question asking not relating to textures. But when I am working on my landscapes, I recognize that sometimes when flying back the shape changes little bit. Especially the higher mountains. Like a morphing feeling. I think this is a standard issue, so asking, but couldn't find the solution in video tutorials.
            Ah - that's because you've set your landscape up wrong. The simple answer, is follow the recomended size in the tech document:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ide/index.html

See: Recommended Landscape Sizes

Just re-do your landscape using one of those combinations, but make it occupy the same space, and you'll get rid of that problem.

Comment

ClockworkOcean Thank you very much again. I already knew about the chart of recommended landscape sizes but didn't expect a "morphing looking failure" when not within these recommendations. Will have a look every time now at the chart when setting up a landscape. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X