No announcement yet.

Confused about different shadow type settings for lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the shadow is meant to have hard edges and the pieces are created at runtime, it could be an issue with their bounding boxes and them switching between cascades based on the size of box. When you spawn them, could you set the bounding box size larger(individually or as a whole) as a test?

Edit: You could also enable the visualizer for bounding boxes in the viewport to verify
    Lighting Artist @ Rockstar Games
    ArtStation
    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by LeTest33 View Post

Yes, it's an edge puzzle piece and it should have a hard edge on the shadow:
      https://i.imgur.com/k3fbUfU.png

The pieces are not moving at all currently, but are created at runtime dynamically so need to use dynamic shadows.
      In this case, dynamic shadows (No distancefields) are your best option.

Comment

Originally posted by rosegoldslugs View Post
        If the shadow is meant to have hard edges and the pieces are created at runtime, it could be an issue with their bounding boxes and them switching between cascades based on the size of box. When you spawn them, could you set the bounding box size larger(individually or as a whole) as a test?

Edit: You could also enable the visualizer for bounding boxes in the viewport to verify
        Oh sounds like a good idea. I didn't realize the bounding box made a difference for shadows. That's a part I haven't got to yet so I'll look into how it's created and see. Currently there is either no collision bounds or it's the same shape as the mesh. I'm not sure if you can visualize them for procedural meshes; there seems to be a lot of visualize things they don't work with.

Comment

The bounding box isn't the collision bounds. It's a part of the rendering of the mesh. If bounding box is smaller than the actual mesh, then pixels of the mesh are outside of the bounding box, and are not renderered correctly or are not rendered at all. That includes other aspects of the rendering of it, such as materials and shadows. It can result in blinking, jittering, and other artefacts such as shadow problems. That is one problem that can occur with bounding boxes, and there's a visualizer for "Out of Bounds Pixels" under Show button. It's separate from the bounding box visualizer.

Comment

Working...
          X