Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPU lightmass, out of memory... hardware advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
    I'm not sure that ray tracing is supported in VR at all, and if it was it would require a lot of power, and if you have something you're building for a client then they'd need to have the powerful hardware to run it as well.
    thank you, thats "good to know", thought raytracing was supported on VR. Yes, that is a problem sometimes to get that kind of equipment on the client side. Probably best to keep raytracing for cinematics, highend stills, and touch/monitors and keep VR with screen space. Although raytrace in VR would be awesome to see!

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      I'm not sure that ray tracing is supported in VR at all, and if it was it would require a lot of power, and if you have something you're building for a client then they'd need to have the powerful hardware to run it as well.
      So a bit late to this discussion but am struggling with the same question. I need to build 2 new workstations for unreal soon. And I get the difference between geforce which is meant for gaming and titan which is meant for production (more stable). Even seen de8auer waterblock a titan rtx . But this point your are touching here is quite interesting. Because as far as I know VR glasses or mixed reality devices like HoloLens 2 are just that a device like a monitor and thus don't have to support raytracing. The support for raytracing has to be in the rig you hook the devices on to not in the device it self. Or am I missing something here?

Comment

Titan RTX is the top Geforce card, you might be thinking of the Quadro cards which are workstation cards and aren't optimized for gaming.

Most VR headsets are wired to a computer and essentially act as a monitor. But for VR you need high resolution and you need high framerate, and even the best cards that support ray-tracing can struggle to maintain 30fps.

Hololens is not like that at all, it runs off mobile hardware that is built-in, it's designed to be completely portable. The Oculus Quest is the only VR headset that's designed to be completely portable too, it runs off Android hardware that's built-in (though you can now hook it up to a PC using USB-C and run it like a tethered headset so you can have better quality).

And again, if you're building something for a client, then they need to be able to run the software so unless you have some control/input on what hardware the client is using then you can't give them something that requires really expensive graphics processing.

Comment

Working...
        X