Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray tracing - huge flickering. What is the problem? (VIDEO attached)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ray tracing - huge flickering. What is the problem? (VIDEO attached)

    Hello,
    I have huge flickering (half of the screen gets black). I use Ray tracing. UE 4.24.1, 2080ti + latest Nvidia studio drivers. Please check out my video with this issue:

    https://youtu.be/gaUA-nUqjos

    Thank you in advance!

    #2
    Hm, havent seen that happening in my workflow. Are you sure that you dont have duplicates of the same mesh? Also when you play the level does that happen there too?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by NasteX View Post
      Hm, havent seen that happening in my workflow. Are you sure that you dont have duplicates of the same mesh? Also when you play the level does that happen there too?

      Hello! No duplicates, as far as I can see. Yes, it flickers even when I play it (and capturing movie). It looks like GPU switches between RTX and RTX OFF modes and back for a millisecond.
      It can be a materials-issue. I've used Datasmith for this project. Another project (mush simpler) works ok.

      Comment


        #4
        Can you try to migrate the whole level to e new project and see if you get the same problem?

        Comment


          #5
          Hi,

          Same issue here.....(when RTGI is on)

          Nico

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NasteX View Post
            Can you try to migrate the whole level to e new project and see if you get the same problem?
            I've tried to migrate my level to the new EPIC "ArchvizRT" sample project. And the base level of the example project started to flicker (there were no issues with ArchvizRT before on my PC). Even when my level is not loaded. I've tried to capture youtube video, but at some point, it just stopped flicker.

            I have also changed in my original project all materials to standard grey but flickering continues. Only removing half of movable RT lights helps. So, I thought that it can be because of the number of lights. I opened "ArchvizRT" example project and added 20 new different movable RT lights. I've expected that it starts flickering, but no, no flickering at all. Will write if I will find the real cause.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by NicoMRGR View Post
              Hi,

              Same issue here.....(when RTGI is on)

              Nico
              Hi Nico, what is your graphics card?

              My first thought was about well-known hardware issues with RTX cards. I have Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti with Samsung video memory chips, that work on 1990MHz core frequency and 1400MHz memory frequency. I have tried to lower the core frequency to 1300MHz and memory frequency to 1000MHz. But it keeps flicker.

              Also, I have downloaded and tried the newest game-ready and studio drivers with no success.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mifa View Post

                I've tried to migrate my level to the new EPIC "ArchvizRT" sample project. And the base level of the example project started to flicker (there were no issues with ArchvizRT before on my PC). Even when my level is not loaded. I've tried to capture youtube video, but at some point, it just stopped flicker.

                I have also changed in my original project all materials to standard grey but flickering continues. Only removing half of movable RT lights helps. So, I thought that it can be because of the number of lights. I opened "ArchvizRT" example project and added 20 new different movable RT lights. I've expected that it starts flickering, but no, no flickering at all. Will write if I will find the real cause.
                ahh, interesting. Post an update if you fixed the problem.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I know it's a basic check, but are any of the movable lights overlapping? There's a default of 4 overlapping lights noted in one of the lighting tutorials in UE's learning portal, and the docs. It can be set to a higher number of overlapping lights.

                  Could it be reflection captures?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by mifa View Post

                    Hi Nico, what is your graphics card?

                    My first thought was about well-known hardware issues with RTX cards. I have Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti with Samsung video memory chips, that work on 1990MHz core frequency and 1400MHz memory frequency. I have tried to lower the core frequency to 1300MHz and memory frequency to 1000MHz. But it keeps flicker.

                    Also, I have downloaded and tried the newest game-ready and studio drivers with no success.
                    Hi mifa,

                    asus RTX2080 (1110mhz gpu clock, 1400mhz memory clock)..... Preston42382 might have explain the pb

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Another thing to check is out of bounds pixels for meshes and lights. There's a visualizer for it in the Show button. Go to Show > Visualize > Out of Bounds Pixels, and any blue, yellow, and white colors mean areas of the meshes / lights are extending beyond their bounding boxes (default color of bounding boxes is purple, and can also be shown / hidden in the Show button via Show > Advanced > Bounds). The directional light doesn't count because it casts light through the whole scene, so mainly point, spot, rect, and other area lights. Here's a link for it:

                      https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...els/index.html

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Would you be able to upload a project that exhibits the flickering issue somewhere for us to investigate?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X