Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's going on with OpenGL in nDisplay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's going on with OpenGL in nDisplay?

I see that since 4.23 OpenGl has been deprecated. Is it being deprecated in favor of Vulkan or something? nDisplay requires it for NV swap lock, so what's going to happen there?

Nvidia synchronization should still work with DirectX 11 and software swap synchronization (swap_sync_policy="1")

Comment

Originally posted by mt085 View Post
      Nvidia synchronization should still work with DirectX 11 and software swap synchronization (swap_sync_policy="1")
      Wouldn't this sort of miss the point of having hardware swap lock?

On a more critical topic for the particular system I'm dealing with (28-node/56-screen "cave" using NVidia Quadro GPUs), what about Frame Sequential stereo 3D, i.e. OpenGL hardware Quad-Buffering? We don't have the ability to use left-right/top-bottom with our system, so those options are out. How are we to get frame sequential or similar working under DX11/12?

Comment

I'd be curious to hear from one of the nDisplay devs about the removal of OpenGL from UE4 as it kinda means both hardware frame sync and frame-sequential stereoscopic (quad buffers) are no longer available to UE4 users. If this can work in some other way (while still being hardware synced, and still having quad-buffer-like stereoscopic that doesn't render as left-right/top-bottom) then I'd love to know, as that's exactly how our vis cluster works.

Or will nDisplay no longer support hardware frame syncing and quad-buffering?

Comment

Hi Conan, the last I've heard on UDN is that Vulkan support is planned for 4.25 nDisplay. I don't know what that will bring to the table exactly. I am in a similar situation, in charge of a vis cluster at an institution. Would you be interested in exchanging emails or other contact to discuss first-hand experiences?

Comment

I haven't found much info on Vulkan having support for hardware quad-buffering, or hardware frame syncing, unless you use OpenGL-Vulkan interop. And since GL is removed it doesn't seem like that will be possible at all. Hopefully I am wrong and Vulkan does have support (I haven't looked into the multi-view stuff yet, which might be the answer to quad-buffering at least).
            Seems like nDisplay can only do stereo with systems that support left-right/top-bottom now, which would mean our lab would need to run another 2000 meters of display cables from the cluster to the displays, which isn't really an option. Hopefully the UE4/nDisplay devs have some sort of plan to get quad-buffers/hardware sync going again.
            Last edited by ConanB; 01-19-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X