Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to Reflection Capture Actors for an Open-World Type Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Reflection Capture Actors for an Open-World Type Game?

The last couple days I have been trying to come up with a solution to reflections in my current project. For multiple reasons (map size, day/night cycle etc) I am forced to use 100% realtime lighting and GI. However, reflection actors didn't exactly work in my situation as they have to be prebaked. One possible alternative for this was to use entirely SSR, which didn't exactly have the kind of quality that is desirable or that i've seen in other games. The main issue is when you get up super close to something it has no reflection information to work with and shows the material as pitch-black. Increasing the screen percentage helped, but the issue of my reflections going away when I got super close still remained. Not to mention it just tanked my framerate.

So that brings me to my question: is there a better way then SSR to fake reflections? Am I totally missing something on the reflection capture actors not working in this situation? If not, is there a way for me to be able to make the SSR look half-decent? Any help on this would be appreciated as i'd like to get rid of this issue as soon as possible so I can see how my assets look in the game's environment.

Thanks!
Working...
X