Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landscape Reflections - Being PBR is Not Enough.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but a big part could also be that the average visible normal on a 3-dimensional ground starts to shift significantly at grazing angles. The strength of that effect depends on how much height the material relative to the detail size has. I've done a quick test for it in Blender, comparing normal mapped planes with actual geometry. (And really this effect is in no way specific to only landscapes anyway, something like a wool sweater would display the same behavior):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrain_and_normals.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	563.2 KB
ID:	1680093

Name:	Terrain_and_normals_sun.gif
Views:	299
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	1680094
    A quick solution could be to bend the normal towards the camera, but that would require further testing.
    Randomized tiling function to eliminate repeating patterns in textures.

Comment

I've tried my theory of bending the normal. Currently, I'm just creating a dot product from the camera to surface point direction and the vertex normal. And use that with an eyeballed curve to bend the normal towards the camera.
      Example with a light shining towards the camera and roughness values of 1 and 0.25.

Name:	Terrain_and_normal_correction.gif
Views:	267
Size:	477.3 KB
ID:	1682846
      It's less pronounced with a light behind the camera but still a clear improvement (only roughness 1 here)

Name:	Terrain_and_normal_correction_2.gif
Views:	253
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	1682847

Comment

One thing that would help rough surfaces at grazing angles would be multiscattered specular.

Comment

Also maybe switching to Oren-Nayar diffuse shading, over the standard lambertian model.

Comment

Since I'm currently rewriting my landscape material I have put my theory to the test in unreal and while this is probably not "correct" bending the normal towards the camera leads to a significant visual improvement.

Name:	witch201912051.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	1694708

Name:	witch201912052.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1694707

Here is the material snipped I'm using to bend the normal, the values are just eyeballed to look good:

Name:	witch20191205NormalBend.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	1694709

Comment

Nice, I love the control you can have with your solution witch-dev. Thank you for sharing the code.

Comment

witch-dev

Why did you base the lerp on the Saturate output? Not questioning it because I know something better, but asking because I'm learning.

Comment

Originally posted by preston42382 View Post
                  witch-dev

Why did you base the lerp on the Saturate output? Not questioning it because I know something better, but asking because I'm learning.
                  Because linear interpolates generally take an alpha value between 0 and 1. Saturate works like a clamp between 0 - 1, so in order to avoid any unwanted negative values coming out of the Lerp, you should clamp the alpha input.

You could always go outside of 0 - 1 but it depends on your use. In most cases, there is a specific purpose to blend between 2 fixed inputs so you clamp the alpha to never get anything outside of the 2 inputs.
                  Last edited by rosegoldslugs; 12-07-2019, 11:49 PM.
                  Lighting Artist @ Rockstar Games
                  ArtStation
                  Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by witch-dev View Post
                    Since I'm currently rewriting my landscape material I have put my theory to the test in unreal and while this is probably not "correct" bending the normal towards the camera leads to a significant visual improvement.
                    It's definitely a hack, but hey it works, great job!

Comment

Originally posted by preston42382 View Post
                      witch-dev

Rosegoldslugs explained it very well, though admittedly, in this case, it's not really needed. The values won't go out of the 0-1 range anyway (At least with reasonable input values).
                      Also, the abs node after the dot product should probably be a saturate instead.

Comment

@witch-dev Nice workaround but not suitable for every situation. Imagine looking down a extreme slope. Or having watery/wet layer on the ground. It will look very wrong.
                        Artstation
                        Join the support channel
                        Gumroad Store

Comment

Working...
                        X