Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mirror material?

this is UE3:

why is this not possible to do in UE4? how long should we wait until it will? it is an absolute must for almost any scene.
    Last edited by jazvecina; 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM.

Actually it is possible -> take a look at the reflection demo. There you can find a mirror material

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...erial-creation

Comment

actually it is not possible -> THIS is not a mirror. its a live camera footage broadcasted on a screen. check the youtube link above, thats a mirror, and that is Unreal Engine 3. the SceneCaptureReflectActor is missing and its not possible to do without the missing actor. thus something like window or mirror is impossible to render realistically. and i wonder why is it missing? im sure it wont be a big deal to implement the actor from udk that should be there in the first place. its an absolute essential feature
      Last edited by jazvecina; 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Hi, i am the author of that UDK bathroom demo.
        and i can confirm, realtime reflections like that are impossible to achieve in UE4 without the missing SceneCaptureReflectActor.
        Which is really mind boggling to me. Why on earth would you discard a feature as essential as that?

Is there a way of getting this request to the right ears? cause i would love to see the SceneCaptureReflectActor implemented ASAP

This is how realtime planar reflections worked :

and i cant think of any good reason why this should be impossible to do in UE4.
        Last edited by {bukkit}; 09-12-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

+1 for this!
          PLANET ALPHA

Comment

i need the realtime reflection too.
            Hope they listen to use.

Comment

Jazvecina,

Where is that bathroom sample scene located?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjshah View Post
                Jazvecina,

Where is that bathroom sample scene located?

Thanks
                nowhere, its just that youtube link

Comment

Thanks Jazvecina, for the reply.

Comment

you have to use cubemap, i know it is not real-time but so far it is best solution
                    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL www.youtube.com/user/piroman665
                    PORTFOLIO http://piroman665.cgsociety.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Piroman View Post
                      you have to use cubemap, i know it is not real-time but so far it is best solution
                      right, but that would look really horrible.
                      so it's not really a solution
                      Last edited by {bukkit}; 09-15-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Cubemaps - real time or not - are not a replacement for mirror surfaces which require maximum accuracy

This gave some hopes but unsure how it evolved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4P0SdDANvo
                        PLANET ALPHA

Comment

Well, that one is probably made with the Scene Capture 2D Actor. and it looks really fake.
                          The problem with that is, that the 2D actor is static no matter the players position in space. its more like a TV screen, not a mirror.

A mirror setup must have a reference plane, it must be aware of the players position in space, and it must evaluate the reflection angles depending on where the player is and where is he looking.
                          Which is essentially the UDK's SceneCaptureReflectActor

Comment

Yep and that's what he's trying to achieve, change the reflection camera transform based on the player POV. I know he has a WIP thread somewhere on the forum discussing the issue.
                            PLANET ALPHA

Comment

Have a look at this thread. It´s not perfect, but works.
                              https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post120163

Comment

Working...
                              X