Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no it doesn't.

Comment

Not quite sure why nobody suggested this yet, but you can make a 1:1 mirror with 2d scene capture actor.
      Bear in mind that, there's no material function to blur the texture sample as of now, so getting the reflection to render without jaggies will require quite big resolution.

//
      Actually now i see that it has been suggested.
      Well, this is as good as it gets for now. With right material setting it is possible to set up 2d RT for a mirror with around 60 to 100% satisfaction rate, depending on usage.
      I've got it to work very well, but only at bigger than up-close distances and angles weren't clamped, so if player was looking at a low angle it would just stretch the texture.
      Last edited by SkacikPL; 09-16-2014, 07:42 PM.
      Image Removed: Too Large

Comment

Originally posted by SkacikPL View Post
        Not quite sure why nobody suggested this yet, but you can make a 1:1 mirror with 2d scene capture actor.
        Bear in mind that, there's no material function to blur the texture sample as of now, so getting the reflection to render without jaggies will require quite big resolution.

//
        Actually now i see that it has been suggested.
        Well, this is as good as it gets for now. With right material setting it is possible to set up 2d RT for a mirror with around 60 to 100% satisfaction rate, depending on usage.
        I've got it to work very well, but only at bigger than up-close distances and angles weren't clamped, so if player was looking at a low angle it would just stretch the texture.
        Off-topic but your signature fires up my antivirus.

Comment

Great, thanks Mars007 - I'll give it a try at some point, looks solid.
          PLANET ALPHA

Comment

+1 Accurate mirrors for archviz

Comment

+1 this is a very important feature to have

Comment

Originally posted by jazvecina View Post
                no it doesn't.
                Actually, it does.
                Surely it isn't perfect but i still believe that in a controlled environment like archviz it should suffice in most cases (or at least until (if ever) Epic gives us anything better)

Here's how it looks on my end:

Bear in mind that due to whatever reason, the capture actor does NOT "see" or use the LPV so i have GI shadows whilst mirror reflects pitch black shadows. Though with prebaked lighting this should not be an issue.
                Of course there are few drawbacks of this method:
                -The mirror reflection "angle" is calculated from the camera location in world space, having wobbly camera as i do results in reflection acting in wobbly way too. Whilst this sounds realistic, the reflection wobble is much more noticeable than actual head bobbing. Still, if your pawn has little-to-none head bobbing then it will be fine (especially if the bobbing is faked - as in, does not actually move the camera).

-the reflection is sampled from one point instead of entire mirror surface, and thus if you get too close to the source point, whole mirror will display the object which obstructs the "viewpoint". Nonetheless you can still get quite close to it without causing it to artifact.
                Last edited by SkacikPL; 09-17-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Actually, it does.
                  Surely it isn't perfect...
                  then it doesnt!
                  just stop with this. this is not a mirror.
                  i dont want an awful unrealistic looking alternative, i want a solution to this problem. and the solution is to add the SceneCaptureReflectActor in upcoming updates like it was in UDK. again, check the first video in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jazvecina View Post
                    then it doesnt!
                    just stop with this. this is not a mirror.
                    i dont want an awful unrealistic looking alternative, i want a solution to this problem. and the solution is to add the SceneCaptureReflectActor in upcoming updates like it was in UDK. again, check the first video in this thread.
                    Well, the UDK scenecapturereflectactor wasn't perfect either...
                    If you want even better solution, then just attach Scene Capture Cube to the pawns face and have it capture every frame, this way you have appropriate reflection in all axes/angles. All that's left is just proper material setup (especially UVs).

In case of non-playable, mostly pre-baked environments such as archviz, you can most likely afford having a dynamic cubemap with decent resolution.

Comment

@jazvecina: what's with the attitude? What about coming with something constructive instead of just ******** about other people that are trying to find a solution?

Yes, hopefully Epic will add an easier solution at some point but you'll never find an engine that can cover all your needs so how about you learn how to do it yourself?
                      PLANET ALPHA

Comment

If you want even better solution, then just attach Scene Capture Cube to the pawns face and have it capture every frame, this way you have appropriate reflection in all axes/angles. All that's left is just proper material setup (especially UVs).
                        I was actually thinking about something similar, my main character will have something like this as helmet and I would really love some real-time reflections - in this case I really don't care about accuracy since the reflection will be heavily deformed by the round shape of the glass but would be great to update in real-time. I hope next week I'll have some time to research this
                        PLANET ALPHA

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianLazar View Post
                          I was actually thinking about something similar, my main character will have something like this as helmet and I would really love some real-time reflections - in this case I really don't care about accuracy since the reflection will be heavily deformed by the round shape of the glass but would be great to update in real-time. I hope next week I'll have some time to research this
                          Have as look at what I have been doing with my car paint materials. I created a translucent material which takes advantage of a scene capture actor to produce real time reflections. Hopefully I will have my materials up on the marketplace soon. If you want to give it a shot yourself, you should try using the scene capture actor and the cubemap it produces. It is also possible to use it to produce a convincing mirror. It's not necessarily efficient for a single flat surface, because the capture actor will be capturing extra content which wouldn't be rendered on the mirror's surface, but it should produce some nice results.

Comment

Is there a possible bump here?

Comment

If anyone is still looking for a solution, my suggestion is to go into the material editor and use constants to set the value of the metallic node to 1 so that it "resembles" a mirror

Comment

could you please summarize the current state of mirror material in ue 4.8.1?

is it still the same?

could you please describe what the missing feature SceneCaptureReflectActor does? I never used ue3, I want to see if I can code something in c++.

Comment

Working...
                                X