Problems with lightmaps on long meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with lightmaps on long meshes

Hello to all. There is a problem with baking light maps. How to unwrap a long object correctly? How to pack so that there would be no empty space? I tried to cut a long piece and set it exactly in pixels, but this did not give good results. The seams remain visible, but if you expand it in a large piece, then there are no seams, but because of this there is empty space. I set the texel density equal to other pieces.
    Even a plain cut in half is not baked seamlessly. is it even possible?
    Last edited by FoxReinard; 09-27-2019, 04:45 AM.

Hi!

One solution is to break up your long object into smaller pieces...
    Another one is to scale the uv island up non-uniformly!

Comment

Breaking the object up could result in artifacts - it shouldn't but it doesn't mean it won't.

If all you are concerned about is the lightmap you can scale it down to fit without worrying about texel density.
      Do a test to make sure that the shadows casting on the object look good in preview before baking.
      If they do not, then you need to choose where the shadows are more important (player view level) and distort the UV so as to keep texel density in the desired area and lower it on the areas above/below.

or, split the UV up and deal with the possibility of artifacts on the seam some other way (vertex painting for instance).

Comment

Your only options are to increase the lightmap resolution or split the mesh into pieces in the UV's so that it can fit the UV space better.

Comment

i dont know when can see new rendering method in ue4
          this is stupid split the mesh into pieces

hope dxr baking save us !

Comment

Originally posted by Farshid View Post
            i dont know when can see new rendering method in ue4
            this is stupid split the mesh into pieces

hope dxr baking save us !
            Any baked system will have the same issue

Comment

Working...