3d Moss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3d Moss

Since Death Stranding gameplays have been popping up I always get amazed by that mossy terrain... As you can see the material has like real 3d moss on it and I don't have any idea if this is possible in unreal engine 4. Maybe with parallax occlusion mapping or tessellation??? If anyone knows please tell me. Thanks.

Could be parallax or some kind of fur shells type thing, or could just simply be textured cards

Comment

It's small cards, similar to doing grass. God of War uses it as well, along with the usual parallax and shell techniques. Just depends on the importance of the asset and how close the camera gets to it.
      Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
      ArtStation
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by rosegoldslugs View Post
        It's small cards, similar to doing grass. God of War uses it as well, along with the usual parallax and shell techniques. Just depends on the importance of the asset and how close the camera gets to it.
        tiny scattered cards (single triangle polys are usually enough) worked as well for frosty ice as it did for moss in Starwars Battlefront
        Last edited by 2car; 09-16-2019, 07:33 AM.
        https://www.artstation.com/o2car

Comment

Why are people amazed at these effects? these couldn't be any easier to do in most engines, you just need to make sure it looks fine within a certain camera range and how far you are willing to go with performance hits. Death stranding has very little trees and in level assets going on in most of these empty landscapes they showcased so far, so by substituting a few trees and grass for instances of just scattered moss I guess the performance can be kept in check in this case.

* I am far more impressed by how they did the snow deformations in Horizon Zero dawn than anything I saw so far landscape tech wise in Death Stranding, using the same engine.
          Last edited by William K; 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Games have been doing snow deformations since the at least the PS2.

To me the moss looks similar to the fins & shells approach Shadow of the Colossus.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
              Games have been doing snow deformations since the at least the PS2.
              Yet it is far more difficult to achieve it in an engine like ue4 in 2019 on vast open uneven terrain , but ever since the engine came up years ago people have non stop showcases of moss, grass and endless trees examples everywhere. I'm saying it is relatively far far easier to achieve this moss effect. they are simple instances of triangles of various sizes and randomized textures. their trick is good use of SSAO and detail shadowing for the inner shading.

Comment

Heck didn't they do something similar with Zelda: BoTW too? it looks nice when done that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaycob View Post
                  Heck didn't they do something similar with Zelda: BoTW too? it looks nice when done that's for sure.
                  Well it had to run on the Wii-U, and the instanced grass was really nice other than the short culling distance.

Comment

There is actually something like this in marketplace

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ug/mossy-piles

Comment

Working...
                    X