No announcement yet.

Raytracing & Light Baking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much, both of you for all your help so far. This is great, appreciate it!

1. I turned off Static Lighting
    Click image for larger version

Name:	off.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1637045

2. Movable Lights

Name:	moveable.JPG
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1637046

Sooo.. that is done. Is there anything else I would need to consider?

Comment

The raytracing is very interesting. I was running also a test, but for some reason I can't resolve noise and flickering when raytracing glossy reflections.
      You need to go FULL HD on YouTube to see the flickering & noise issues.

Here is my latest test:
      https://youtu.be/oho3JDSHiMI

@settings:
      I am already using the max settings for the raytracer. 64 samples per pixel. And for the lights, I was using 128.

Post Process Volume
      Pixel Samples: 64
      Pixel Samples Light: 128

Can anyone tell me how I can render animations without noise & flicker issues?
      Especially when dealing with glossy reflections?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by BernhardRieder View Post
        Thank you so much, both of you for all your help so far. This is great, appreciate it!

Sooo.. that is done. Is there anything else I would need to consider?
        I tried turning off static lightning. However I noticed that even with raytracing the reflections stay black. When I turned it on again, the reflections were working.
        Especially noticable with metal materials.

Comment

A TLDR for those who just want it short and simple, Raytracing and bakes do similar jobs but do it separately, Raytracing is done dynamically by well, raytracing (duh), Baked lights are quite literally just a texture, Thats it. Its just a texture that you can specify the size of that stores lighting information baked in the editor which if i remember right is raytraced information. You dont bake raytracing, thats not how it works, you bake baked lighting only, its in the name.

Comment

yeah cool.. so just to clarify: when ever you are going to ray trace, you always want to have all your lights set to moveable?

Comment

Originally posted by Bits360 View Post
              A TLDR for those who just want it short and simple, Raytracing and bakes do similar jobs but do it separately, Raytracing is done dynamically by well, raytracing (duh), Baked lights are quite literally just a texture, Thats it. Its just a texture that you can specify the size of that stores lighting information baked in the editor which if i remember right is raytraced information. You dont bake raytracing, thats not how it works, you bake baked lighting only, its in the name.
              Well, here's the thing though, raytracing can be used to bake lighting as well, it's just a matter of whether it is stored to lightmaps or if it's updated every frame. In the future, there will be an update to UE4 that takes advantage of raytracing cards to speed up light baking.

Comment

I was running some other tests with the latest 4.23 Preview, and I am running into the following issues.
                • Glass seems to "suck up" or block all GI Bounces
                • Interior Rendering: black spots & material issues

Here is my documentation & explanation plus Audio:

Comment

and here is another problem I am having all the time, and I can't resolve flickering on tiny/fine lines.

example on the lamp below:

I simple don't know how to resolve that flicker problem....
                  any ideas?

Comment

and more light flickering..

please... does someone know how to fix this?
                    it's killing me...

Comment

Have you adjusted the reflection samples?

Comment

Yes, I was running multiple tests. I was cranking up the reflection samples to 128. That's the maximum. Nothing. It's not changing.
                        I noticed, that some of the flickering disappears when I turn off inverse square fall off... which is only available for the spotlights.

But heck.. then the lighting values are all off and of course, the light source doesn't look as nice because you don't get this natural fall off.

But until yet.. no way to resolve this issue.

Comment

Disable the reflection samples option, I noticed for me that the reflections looked way better without manually setting a reflection sample value and using whatever default setting it had. I'm thinking there might be an issue where if you set a value for the reflection samples it doesn't use the denoising to smooth it out.

Comment

you mean the one inside of the postProcessVolume? seen below? I was running multiple tests.. that didn't solve the issue...

Name:	reflection_samples.JPG
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	1653207

Comment

is there really no one out there experiencing the same flickering issues?

Comment

Working...
                              X