Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raytracing & Light Baking?

Step 1:
    Ray Tracing is turned on in PostProcessVolume for ALL (GI, Reflections, Translucency)

Step 2:
    I click "Build" all

Question:
    • After the Building is done for all, can you turn off Ray Tracing because all the information is baked for the final game?
    • Or do you still need to keep it on within the PostProcessVolume for GI, Reflections, Translucency, etc.?
    Thanks for clarification & further explanation!

Lightmass doesn't use any of the new ray tracing features (yet). So what you see with ray tracing isn't going to be accurate to what you'll let after a lightmass bake. It might be close enough to get a rough idea, but they are completely separate systems. Reflections don't get baked into lightmass.

Comment

Sooo... can you say.. when using Raytracing... there is actually no more need for any light baking, right?

Comment

Raytracing is entirely real-time, right now that's the main advantage of it, not having to use lightmaps while still getting good lighting

But, some people will still want to use lightmaps and the raytracing tech can be used to speed that up, so that will come at some point.

Comment

So that means.. when you turn on Raytracing, you don't need to bake anymore?
          Is this a clear yes?

Comment

Originally posted by remozseo View Post
            So that means.. when you turn on Raytracing, you don't need to bake anymore?
            Is this a clear yes?
            Not a clear yes, although that is the goal eventually. At the moment, the quality vs performance is not quite there, so some pre-computed things may still be in order, like bake Sky Light for occlusion, but use RTGI or SSGI for the sun.

But depending on what you're doing, you may be able to do just dynamic lighting with raytracing features and not need to bake at all. Just depends on your use case.
            Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
            Former Lighting Artist @ Obsidian Entertainment
            ArtStation

Comment

the use:
              I would like to use Unreal to create Animations (offline). If my frame rate would go down to 1FPS - fine.
              I prefer maximum quality, and I would like to Raytrace everything. I don't need a game engine speed, or VR speed.

For that goal and use:
              • Do I still have to consider Lightmass?
              • Do I still need to bake?
              Thanks a lot!

Comment

Well if you don't care about performance, then by all means use raytracing
                Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
                Former Lighting Artist @ Obsidian Entertainment
                ArtStation

Comment

Thank you, appreciate it. But what is still unclear.

Why is the engine telling me all the time, I need to build objects?
                  And I have to build lighting?

If I am going to raytrace everything?
                  Is this still something you have to do?

Or does this become obsolete, because I am raytracing everything?

Comment

we will see raytraced baking soooooooooooooooon

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_160694.png
Views:	1
Size:	366.3 KB
ID:	1631164

Comment

What does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by BernhardRieder View Post
                        What does that mean?
                        new build lighting system

Comment

BernhardRieder Currently, when building lighting for static lights or stationary, the CPU cores are used for the calculations, the new system they mention at the slide will use GPU instead, so the process would be faster and it will use the same algorithm used by the realtime raytracing, which will make it looks like VRay and similars. I didn't see an ETA for it thou.
                          Nilson Lima
                          Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                          Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                          supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

More specifically it's about using the raytracing cores to accelerate light building, they've already got a GPU light baker, but it's something that's a lot faster with the raytracing cores

Comment

Originally posted by NilsonLima View Post
                              BernhardRieder Currently, when building lighting for static lights or stationary, the CPU cores are used for the calculations, the new system they mention at the slide will use GPU instead, so the process would be faster and it will use the same algorithm used by the realtime raytracing, which will make it looks like VRay and similars. I didn't see an ETA for it thou.
                              do you know this dxr baking is depend on lightmaps or not ???
                              i hope this new technology works without lightmaps !!!!

@NilsonLima
                              darthviper107
                              Last edited by Farshid; 06-18-2019, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X