Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray tracing plan for Metal (MacOs)

Hello,

I looked around and didn't see anything about ray tracing with Metal.
    This presentation was made last year and according to Apple's devs ray tracing is available on all MacOs platforms:
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2018/606/

1. Is there any plan to support ray tracing with Metal?

Sure for games it might not be interesting. We are working on a product visualization tool using UE4. Half our customers have a Mac. And realistic visualization with dynamic lighting and movable object is a core feature. Our users will be able to render the final image with ray tracing enabled. It seems so far that using ray tracing even with lower GPUs could be an option to render only one frame.
    One key point would be to know the plan for ray tracing with Metal. We might be able to implement it ourselves.

2. Have you explored RT with Metal already? If yes, please do you have any feedback you can share with us?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Carlizor; 05-04-2019, 08:17 AM.

That article doesn't say that they're using it for real-time applications, and the results are too noisy to be usable anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      That article doesn't say that they're using it for real-time applications, and the results are too noisy to be usable anyway.
      It's aimed at accelerating offline rendering. They had to use 3 GPUs to get over 200 MRays/s while a RTX 2060 can do 6 GRays/s with DXR.

UE4's DXR RT is still in early stages and I guess getting it working with Vulkan would happen before targeting Metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Manoel.Neto View Post

UE4's DXR RT is still in early stages and I guess getting it working with Vulkan would happen before targeting Metal.
        That make sense. Thanks for the answers!

Comment

Working...
        X