A few complex questions on lighting...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few complex questions on lighting...

My game has a giant TV screen in front of the player in a dark corner of a map. It's mostly off but plays a few videos for the player via .mp4 materials and scripting. Is there a way to cast light from the glowing materials down onto the floor between the player and the screen?
    How do I fix a static mesh that is not casting shadows on itself? I have a fridge that takes static shadows from other objects, but the handle is not casting a shadow on the closest cascade (When I'm closeup).
    Is there a way to remove objects from the cascading shadow system? I have had to engage the cascade system as a way to eliminate far-casting shadows from a single actor-class. The gameplay includes self-building structures from objects kinda-like building blocks. Well the dynamic shadows from those objects were bringing my FPS down to like 17 when those shadows cast across the open-map. So now EVERY **** object is subject to this cascade system. This makes many ugly-spots when moving around the map. Is there a way to give important objects just 1 high quality shadow map that doesn't change? Thanks much

Originally posted by swiss_cheese9797 View Post
    Is there a way to cast light from the glowing materials down onto the floor between the player and the screen?

How do I fix a static mesh that is not casting shadows on itself? I have a fridge that takes static shadows from other objects, but the handle is not casting a shadow on the closest cascade (When I'm closeup).

Is there a way to remove objects from the cascading shadow system?

Is there a way to give important objects just 1 high quality shadow map that doesn't change?
    1. You can place a spot light angled in a way to hit the floor, player, ceiling, opposite wall, etc. You could also turn the video into an animated texture, depending on the number of frames, and use it in a Light Function.

2. If you're not seeing the small-scale shadows with baked shadows, it's due to the Lightmap resolution and your World Settings not being able to pickup(or represent) such small details. If it's with dynamic shadows, it's a similar issue of the cascaded shadow map not having enough resolution to display those details. You can get around it by increasing the shadow resolution(as a test, try shadows on Cinematic, that will set them to 4k), decrease shadow bias if you can without introducing artifacts, or adjust your cascade settings to favor those small details or leave them at the defaults. You can also try the Contact Shadows, which are great at small-scale shadows but can introduce other artifacts at a distance.

3. You can disable dynamic shadows per object

4. There's no way to get a dynamic shadow that doesn't change(except for holding onto the shadow for a few frames), but you can enable "Dynamic Inset Shadow" which splits the object into it's own shadow map instead of sharing the CSM with the entire scene, which gives you more fidelity for that shadow map. This can be expensive, but it could also fix your issue of missing small-scale shadows.
    Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
    Former Lighting Artist @ Obsidian Entertainment
    ArtStation

Comment

Right on. I'll get to work on all that now. Already solved one problem Thanks.

Comment

This might be of use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaWRG3q5txs
        Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Custom Map Maker Discord
        https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
        Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Originally posted by rosegoldslugs View Post

1. You can place a spot light angled in a way to hit the floor, player, ceiling, opposite wall, etc. You could also turn the video into an animated texture, depending on the number of frames, and use it in a Light Function.
          Worth noting:
          Lightfunctions are monochrome, so your would need to split them into R, G and B channels and combine the 3 if you want to light your scene with a color TV.
          https://www.artstation.com/o2car

Comment

Working...
          X