Issue: Screen Space Reflections and first person weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue: Screen Space Reflections and first person weapons

Hey guys! I'm trying to solve an issue and figured I'd try asking you before I start pulling my hair out.

So: Imagine my character is in a highly reflective environment. He's holding a first person gun like you'd see in any game. However: That gun is being included in the calculation for the SSR and is thus being reflected crazily all over my level. Moving around in the level makes it look like the inside of a kaleidoscope.

The preferred solution would be to exclude the first person weapon entirely from the SSR calculation, but according to my various sources and google searches that is not an option. Turning SSR off entirely is not an option either, since besides the weapon being reflected everything is looking lovely. Do any of you have another solution perhaps?

• replied
    Originally posted by OwenWP View Post
    If you do that, then your gun will appear in the reflections as if it were painted on the far wall.

The fundamental problem is that in order to draw reflections of things behind the gun, you need to actually render the things behind the gun. So the only really general solution is to fully render the scene without the gun, then render the gun separately and composite it onto the screen as a post process after screen space reflections are computed. You can do this with scene captures and render targets.
    I always forget that SSR is using scene color after translucency.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you do that, then your gun will appear in the reflections as if it were painted on the far wall.

The fundamental problem is that in order to draw reflections of things behind the gun, you need to actually render the things behind the gun. So the only really general solution is to fully render the scene without the gun, then render the gun separately and composite it onto the screen as a post process after screen space reflections are computed. You can do this with scene captures and render targets.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Change first person weapon material to be translucent but with opacity of 1. Then it will not write to depth buffer and does not mess up SSR. You can use Custom depth to fix problems with overlapping pixels from weapon if that is an issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Having the same issue. Does anyone have a solution yet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X