Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raytracing was merged into Dev-Rendering!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by vblanco View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk

    I made a video about the raytraced shadows, wich are the thing that looks the best right now. This is just me tinkering a bit with the area shadows and pixel-perfect shadows from pointlights.
    Rendered at 30 samples per pixel + TAA, which can be useful to "preview" how could it look when it has proper denoising.
    Just because of those shadows DXR is worth it ;o.

    And they seem to be cheaper than shadow maps.

    Comment


      #32
      Thanks vblanco for sharing your early experiments with us. Those shadows look fantastic!
      ArtStation

      Comment


        #33
        Those shadows

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by YuriyODonnell View Post

          Can't say at this point. We are actively working on it, but there is a mountain of work still to do.
          Hello, I downloaded the latest branch to build, then turned on two options in the project settings, and added - dx12 and - raytracing command parameters to Editor's startup shortcut, but did it still seem to have no effect after entering the engine? But shader compilation does add a lot, May I ask you the steps you used?

          I followed the steps without any options to adjust, and the console parameters did not seem to work. I'm sure I'm using 2080TI + WIN10 1809 and I've run Microsoft's DXR tests before, but I don't seem to be able to enable them in the engine.
          And I also confirmed that the engine was running on DX12, but no light or console commands were visible. Ray tracing effect.

          This is the log output in the console.

          LogInit: Command Line: -dx12 -raytracing F:\DXR_UE\PhotoRendern\PhotoRendern\PhotoRendern.uproject
          LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.RayTracing:1]]
          LogD3D12RHI: D3D12 ray tracing enabled.
          LogD3D12RHI: Ray tracing resource residency tracking is not implemented. Disabling D3D12 residency management.
          LogUObjectArray: 40164 objects as part of root set at end of initial load.
          LogUObjectArray: CloseDisregardForGC: 0/0 objects in disregard for GC pool
          Cmd: r.RayTracing ?
          HELP for 'r.RayTracing'(ReadOnly):
          0 to disable ray tracing.
          r.RayTracing = "1" LastSetBy: ProjectSetting

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by 最后的馒头 View Post
            This is the log output in the console.
            Based on the logs, ray tracing was indeed enabled. Are you saying that there are no ray tracing view modes available in the editor for you? From here I would suggest that running the engine via a debugger and stepping through the code to figure out why RT features are not getting used. First place to start could be LightRendering.cpp. Search for ShouldRenderRayTracingStaticOrStationaryRectLight and step through the code nearby. Perhaps the reason for unavailability of RT features would become obvious then.
            Unfortunately, I don't think I can provide any further support at this point.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by 最后的馒头 View Post

              Hello, I downloaded the latest branch to build, then turned on two options in the project settings, and added - dx12 and - raytracing command parameters to Editor's startup shortcut, but did it still seem to have no effect after entering the engine? But shader compilation does add a lot, May I ask you the steps you used?

              I followed the steps without any options to adjust, and the console parameters did not seem to work. I'm sure I'm using 2080TI + WIN10 1809 and I've run Microsoft's DXR tests before, but I don't seem to be able to enable them in the engine.
              And I also confirmed that the engine was running on DX12, but no light or console commands were visible. Ray tracing effect.

              This is the log output in the console.

              LogInit: Command Line: -dx12 -raytracing F:\DXR_UE\PhotoRendern\PhotoRendern\PhotoRendern.uproject
              LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.RayTracing:1]]
              LogD3D12RHI: D3D12 ray tracing enabled.
              LogD3D12RHI: Ray tracing resource residency tracking is not implemented. Disabling D3D12 residency management.
              LogUObjectArray: 40164 objects as part of root set at end of initial load.
              LogUObjectArray: CloseDisregardForGC: 0/0 objects in disregard for GC pool
              Cmd: r.RayTracing ?
              HELP for 'r.RayTracing'(ReadOnly):
              0 to disable ray tracing.
              r.RayTracing = "1" LastSetBy: ProjectSetting
              You should use DevRendering branch, not master maybe. DevRendering is the one i used, added -dx12 and -raytracing to shortcut, then turned on skincash and raytracing in projects settings.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by YuriyODonnell View Post

                Based on the logs, ray tracing was indeed enabled. Are you saying that there are no ray tracing view modes available in the editor for you? From here I would suggest that running the engine via a debugger and stepping through the code to figure out why RT features are not getting used. First place to start could be LightRendering.cpp. Search for ShouldRenderRayTracingStaticOrStationaryRectLight and step through the code nearby. Perhaps the reason for unavailability of RT features would become obvious then.
                Unfortunately, I don't think I can provide any further support at this point.
                Okay, thank you for your reply. I downloaded the latest rendering branch. Ray tracing seems to be working properly. I'm testing related functions. Shadow performance is very good, reflection consumption is very high, but noise reduction seems not ready yet? Shadows and reflections look really good. I seem to have seen the biggest rendering upgrade of Unreal in 4.22, and the consumption of new shadows is very exciting. It seems that we can say goodbye to the bad CSM shadows! Thank you for your work to show us such beautiful real-time images!
                Last edited by Leo Rakes; 01-10-2019, 12:08 AM.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Can raytraced shadows and AO be "slowed down" enough to work with VR?

                  There's a few generic GPU implementations of voxel traced GI under development for Unity, and those demos show all shadows moving in "slow motion" compared to the objects and lights in order to not stress the GPU to pieces. Can that be done here as well to make it smooth in VR?

                  Does polygon count impact dxr shadows or is it pretty much a flat bump in render time per light or scene size?

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by roberteker View Post
                    Can raytraced shadows and AO be "slowed down" enough to work with VR?

                    There's a few generic GPU implementations of voxel traced GI under development for Unity, and those demos show all shadows moving in "slow motion" compared to the objects and lights in order to not stress the GPU to pieces. Can that be done here as well to make it smooth in VR?

                    Does polygon count impact dxr shadows or is it pretty much a flat bump in render time per light or scene size?
                    I've just done some tests. Ray tracing shadows really consume very little, even in some cases, less than CSM shadows. The influence of polygons has not been tested yet, but in theory, ray tracing shadows should have little impact on the change of scene polygons.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Hi people!

                      Is RTX shadows means we will not need to rely on lightmaps for direct shadows? I hate lightmaps

                      Maybe we can expect some improvement on volumetric fog with RTX?

                      I´ve see some videos on NVIDIA´s Youtube channel and this tech is awesome!

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Performance with direct shadows sounds very promising. I suppose it's due to the rays being very coherent, and the hit shaders being super simple and devoid of texture reads.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Will ray traced shadows function on any older cards (with reduced quality) or are all of these features specifically restricted to nVidia’s RTX cards?

                          Your mention of better performance has my interest piqued!! I don’t really care for our existing shadowing methods.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            This implementation is DXR, not RTX. Using DXR it is a DirectX 12 feature, so any DX12 card can do it, just without the raytracing cores it will be slower. If your purpose is to render images, then it should probably still be usable, but it's probably not something you can use in a game where it needs a higher framerate.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                              This implementation is DXR, not RTX. Using DXR it is a DirectX 12 feature, so any DX12 card can do it, just without the raytracing cores it will be slower. If your purpose is to render images, then it should probably still be usable, but it's probably not something you can use in a game where it needs a higher framerate.
                              Ok, that clears things up. I’ve been so busy lately I feel like I’ve had my head in the sand about all this.

                              Thank you!

                              Comment


                                #45
                                I'm just sad SDF tracing was paused for this, now they overlap. They need to be merged! SDF == speeeeeeed! While triangle tracing is easier to make dynamic.

                                Ah well, good to see something merged anyway.


                                Originally posted by iniside View Post
                                So there is not yet support for GI ? I guess it's coming anyway, it's bascially extension of AO and should super cheap, since it only transfer color information.
                                Oh hells no, proper GI is the most expensive thing you can do with raytracing (other than caustics, but there's no way that's being anything but faked for like a decade). It always *seems* inexpensive, then as soon as you actually need to use it to really light a level the expense become nigh exponential. Otherwise light bounces like, two meters and whole thing ends up looking like Doom 3 again.

                                Would love to see the previous VPL/"many lights" code be updated though. You can make it glossy and so support reflections, it's all coherent from the light's perspective and so can be relatively cheap, and even better can be cached on static stuff/updated slowly and progressively over successive frames for directional light, combined with heightfield tracing for distant bounce light you could at least get a single lightbounce in realtime, and only trace dynamic stuff for occlusion.
                                Last edited by Frenetic Pony; 01-11-2019, 07:03 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X