Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raytracing was merged into Dev-Rendering!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 最后的馒头 View Post

That is to say, the ray tracing function we currently use in DEV_Rendern is limited to the exploration of API and development, but does not include any substantive functions, such as shadow, AO, GI, etc., which are not included in the rendering branch at all?
    There are basic work-in-progress implementations of the high-level features that you mentioned, but none of them are at performance or quality targets. They are actively being developed. There is currently nothing that you can actually use in production (which should be obvious, since we're talking about a development branch here ).

Comment

Originally posted by YuriyODonnell View Post
      * Use D3D12 by adding `-dx12` command line parameter
      does this mean that the DX12 crash on startup is fixed?
      Follow me on Twitter!
      Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
      Local Image-Based Lighting for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
        does this mean that the DX12 crash on startup is fixed?
        I am personally not aware of any current crashes at startup when using `-dx12` flag. So the answer is "probably?" ;-)

Comment

Hi !
          When Raytracing full support is planned ? 4.22 ?

Comment

Originally posted by WalterSulivan View Post
            Hi !
            When Raytracing full support is planned ? 4.22 ?
            Can't say at this point. We are actively working on it, but there is a mountain of work still to do.

Comment

I was actually able to run it!

Trick was -dx12 and -raytracing . On a rtx gpu with latest drivers and latest windows version (1809)

All tested in a 2080, in editor fullscreen 1080p, on the Realistic Rendering apartment.

Current state of stuff:
              • No denoising whatsoever, or at least i couldnt get it to run.
              • Current noise formulas make noise even worse than it should be, with tiling artifacts.
              • Raytracing AO gets calculated, but then gets overriden by something else and never gets displayed. Cost is about 1.1 miliseconds per raytracing sample. If denoising actually works on such a bad 1 sample image, this could be competitive with SSAO.
              • The entire "backend" of raytracing shaders and acceleration structures actually works fine.
              • Reflections work super well, but they are SUPER expensive. Perfect mirrors are fun to look at. Costs 15 miliseconds with all features enabled. Trying to recalculate light on the hits + raycasting to that light for shadows is expensive. They could be more useful in static light scenes.
              • Directional lights, pointlights, and rect-lights all have direct rayshadow support, and they all look great. If you dont you get pixel perfect shadows that look like Stencil Shadows. Actually not expensive to run, somehwere beetween 0.1 and 0.6 miliseconds per light, at 1 sample per pixel, depending on how much of the screen is affected by the light, which is great (better sun shadows that cascade shadows?)
              • Spotlights dont work, at all. Not even direct light. EDIT: Spotlights got fixed a couple commits after what i downloaded.
              • Has a pathtracer, but its light is super weird and it doesnt converge.
              • Crashed GPU driver several times (but i was debugging with Nsight)
              In general, this is extremelly early. Really fun to see where the tech is going, i can see the potential. Enabling raytracing is automatic and you dont need to modify the scenes to use the features. Ill be tinkering with it again once it starts getting denoising features.

My biggest interest is RT shadows and RT AO, both of them i see them happening, and they are essentially a "toggle" to enable them. At 2-3 miliseconds for both, they are well within usable territory for 60 fps gaming. Reflection.. i dont see that happening at good speed without mayor engineering, and on games that could have it not be absurd. Having to recalculate the entire PBR material + light + extra shadow rays where the reflection hits is just never going to be fast.

Bonus picture:
              I cranked the settings really high so i get a decent image even without the denoising, just through the TAA.
              The image shows area light (the blue light), a pointlight (orange) with pixel perfect shadows, and reflections on the chrome sculptures, including reflecting an ofscreen shining cube.
              Last edited by vblanco; 01-05-2019, 12:32 PM.
              UDK and UE4 programmer and Unreal engine 4 betatester. Currently working on commercial VR games for PSVR.
              Deep knowlegde of C++ and blueprints. Open to freelance work.
              Games released, Deathwave(Steam), VRMultigames(Steam), DWVR(Steam,Oculus,PSVR):
              http://store.steampowered.com/app/463870
              http://store.steampowered.com/app/500360
              http://store.steampowered.com/app/520750

Comment

Thanks for posting that pic vblanco! Look forward to seeing the braver souls dig into this at such an early stage. Can't wait till this is enabled in a standard release.

Comment

Will do my tests also and will provide a video probably this weekend, also on a RTX 2080 non ti

Comment

So there is not yet support for GI ? I guess it's coming anyway, it's bascially extension of AO and should super cheap, since it only transfer color information.
                    https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

There is some surfel related code around the sources. But there is no GI i can find right now. Surfel GI 2, Raytracing edition would be a great thing. I think they showed it on the GDC demos
                      UDK and UE4 programmer and Unreal engine 4 betatester. Currently working on commercial VR games for PSVR.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk

I made a video about the raytraced shadows, wich are the thing that looks the best right now. This is just me tinkering a bit with the area shadows and pixel-perfect shadows from pointlights.
                        Rendered at 30 samples per pixel + TAA, which can be useful to "preview" how could it look when it has proper denoising.

Comment

Originally posted by vblanco View Post
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TStUfKbl2jk

I made a video about the raytraced shadows, wich are the thing that looks the best right now. This is just me tinkering a bit with the area shadows and pixel-perfect shadows from pointlights.
                          Rendered at 30 samples per pixel + TAA, which can be useful to "preview" how could it look when it has proper denoising.
                          Seeing these shadows realtime inside UE Editor left me in shock O.o
                          Nilson Lima
                          Technical Director @ Rigel Studios Ltda - twitter: @RigelStudios
                          Join us at Discord: https://discord.gg/uFFSEXY

UE4 Marketplace: Cloudscape Seasons
                          supporting: Community FREE Ocean plugin

Comment

Originally posted by YuriyODonnell View Post
                            There are a few things you need to do to enable DXR preview support:
                            * Enable skin cache and ray tracing in project settings
                            * Use D3D12 by adding `-dx12` command line parameter
                            * Opt-in to ray tracing preview feature by adding `-raytracing` command line parameter
                            * Obviously, Windows 10 RS5 (October 2018 Update) + NVIDIA RTX card and recent driver

If those criteria are met, then various ray tracing effects will become enabled by default at run-time and new view modes should be available in the editor. Some new console variables will also be available (r.RayTracing.***).

It must be stressed that DXR support is in a very early stage and is not meant for end-users and content-creators. None of the high-level rendering features (reflections, shadows, AO) are production-ready at this point and are under active development.

Current code in dev-rendering is mostly meant for developers to start looking at how ray tracing will be exposed and how to use the low-level API to implement their own custom features.
                            Dxr cant work non-Rtx card ?

Comment

Originally posted by vblanco View Post
                              I was actually able to run it!

Trick was -dx12 and -raytracing . On a rtx gpu with latest drivers and latest windows version (1809)

All tested in a 2080, in editor fullscreen 1080p, on the Realistic Rendering apartment.

Current state of stuff:
                              • No denoising whatsoever, or at least i couldnt get it to run.
                              • Current noise formulas make noise even worse than it should be, with tiling artifacts.
                              • Raytracing AO gets calculated, but then gets overriden by something else and never gets displayed. Cost is about 1.1 miliseconds per raytracing sample. If denoising actually works on such a bad 1 sample image, this could be competitive with SSAO.
                              • The entire "backend" of raytracing shaders and acceleration structures actually works fine.
                              • Reflections work super well, but they are SUPER expensive. Perfect mirrors are fun to look at. Costs 15 miliseconds with all features enabled. Trying to recalculate light on the hits + raycasting to that light for shadows is expensive. They could be more useful in static light scenes.
                              • Directional lights, pointlights, and rect-lights all have direct rayshadow support, and they all look great. If you dont you get pixel perfect shadows that look like Stencil Shadows. Actually not expensive to run, somehwere beetween 0.1 and 0.6 miliseconds per light, at 1 sample per pixel, depending on how much of the screen is affected by the light, which is great (better sun shadows that cascade shadows?)
                              • Spotlights dont work, at all. Not even direct light.
                              • Has a pathtracer, but its light is super weird and it doesnt converge.
                              • Crashed GPU driver several times (but i was debugging with Nsight)
                              In general, this is extremelly early. Really fun to see where the tech is going, i can see the potential. Enabling raytracing is automatic and you dont need to modify the scenes to use the features. Ill be tinkering with it again once it starts getting denoising features.

My biggest interest is RT shadows and RT AO, both of them i see them happening, and they are essentially a "toggle" to enable them. At 2-3 miliseconds for both, they are well within usable territory for 60 fps gaming. Reflection.. i dont see that happening at good speed without mayor engineering, and on games that could have it not be absurd. Having to recalculate the entire PBR material + light + extra shadow rays where the reflection hits is just never going to be fast.

Bonus picture:
                              I cranked the settings really high so i get a decent image even without the denoising, just through the TAA.
                              The image shows area light (the blue light), a pointlight (orange) with pixel perfect shadows, and reflections on the chrome sculptures, including reflecting an ofscreen shining cube.
                              Hello, I downloaded the latest branch to build, then turned on two options in the project settings, and added - dx12 and - raytracing command parameters to Editor's startup shortcut, but did it still seem to have no effect after entering the engine? But shader compilation does add a lot, May I ask you the steps you used?

I followed the steps without any options to adjust, and the console parameters did not seem to work. I'm sure I'm using 2080TI + WIN10 1809 and I've run Microsoft's DXR tests before, but I don't seem to be able to enable them in the engine.
                              And I also confirmed that the engine was running on DX12, but no light or console commands were visible. Ray tracing effect.

This is the log output in the console.

LogInit: Command Line: -dx12 -raytracing F:\DXR_UE\PhotoRendern\PhotoRendern\PhotoRendern.uproject
                              LogConfig: Setting CVar [[r.RayTracing:1]]
                              LogD3D12RHI: D3D12 ray tracing enabled.
                              LogD3D12RHI: Ray tracing resource residency tracking is not implemented. Disabling D3D12 residency management.
                              LogUObjectArray: 40164 objects as part of root set at end of initial load.
                              LogUObjectArray: CloseDisregardForGC: 0/0 objects in disregard for GC pool
                              Cmd: r.RayTracing ?
                              HELP for 'r.RayTracing'(ReadOnly):
                              0 to disable ray tracing.
                              r.RayTracing = "1" LastSetBy: ProjectSetting
                              Last edited by Leo Rakes; 01-04-2019, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Is it really exclusive to the RTX card, even when the binary is released? I was hoping to utilize it in a film project. The performance in my case isn't entirely necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X