Refraction / Reflection Problem with Objects Right Next to Glass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refraction / Reflection Problem with Objects Right Next to Glass

Hello everyone, as I get back into Unreal Studio I've managed to get a pretty nice glass material solution going (using Fresnel Function) with help from this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ2o-NEdJhw

However, I'm having trouble resolving how the refraction deals with objects next to, or even touching, the glass. I've got frameless glass panels within extruded aluminum channels, but the backside of the channels aren't actually showing up. Even when I turn the refraction completely off, the back half on the other side of the panel isn't visible. I'm attaching some images.

Tnx much.

Last edited by landrvr1; 12-17-2018, 01:18 PM.

Use Pixel Normal Offset as the Refraction Type

Comment

Raildex, thanks much for that! Found this nice example for anyone in the future with this issue:
      https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...elNormalOffset

Comment

If your glass don't have any normal map detail then you don't need refraction at all.

Comment

Tnx Kalie!

The next problem I'm having is getting simple reflections to work with objects that are relatively close to the glass. In this example I don't have any reflection probes in the scene yet. The Skylight/HDRI background clearly shows up, but the tall boxes do not!?!

I have a Post Processing Volume in the scene. SSR is set to 100/100/.6

I've no idea what I'm doing wrong, but clearly I've messed up a setting somewhere.

Comment

Are those boxes static?

Comment

Yes indeed! They are static.

Comment

because the Reflection Probe doesn't capture the boxes from the Glass' Point.
                You should use a Cube Reflection Capture and put it right infront of the glass

Comment

Raildex, thanks for the reply. Here's the result of my experimenting with the Box Reflection Probes. It's working, but while I understand that there will be distortions I'm wondering if my placement/size strategy is correct?

Comment

Spherical and Box projected cubemaps aren't that great for accurate reflections. Box Reflections can get you much closer, but you have to sacrifice the blend radius and use many, small Reflection Actors to limit distortion. In this case, you might want to look into a Planar Reflection actor. It can increase rendering costs, but you can also limit what is rendered in that reflection. For example, the Planar Reflection can include just the boxes, but a Spherical or Box Reflection Actor can contain the rest of the scene.
                    Lighting Artist II @ Crystal Dynamics
                    Former Lighting Artist @ Obsidian Entertainment
                    ArtStation

Comment

rosegoldslugs, thanks for that tidbit about limiting what shows up in planar reflections! I hadn't seen that feature yet, and it's GOLD. !

Comment

Working...
                      X