Lightmap density/shadow quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmap density/shadow quality

In my small scene with one skybox and one stationary directional light, if I want to obtain the highest quality shadows should I be setting all meshes to Generate Lightmap UV's ON and Min Lightmap Resolution as higher than 2048? Currently it looks like this with Lightmap Density rendering on. Should it be mostly red? I know that will be more expensive and take longer to bake, but that's not a concern for me.

Hi!

If you want archviz quality you'll have to break up your mesh into individual pieces!! ...again if it's archviz you should see red kind of everywhere and it's still might not be enough... The highest lightmap resolution you can set is 4096...

Comment

Originally posted by Makigirl View Post
      Hi!

If you want archviz quality you'll have to break up your mesh into individual pieces!! ...again if it's archviz you should see red kind of everywhere and it's still might not be enough... The highest lightmap resolution you can set is 4096...
      So each individual mesh should have it's lightmap resolution set to 4096 for the highest resolution shadows? Can you do that in bulk? I don't want to have to go through a million different static meshes one at a time!

Comment

NOOOO!!!
        What I was saying is that's the maximum lightmap resolution you can set to an object! /so it's not a solution to have one big mesh and set a 1 million res lightmap to it and it's enough because you can't/
        What I'm saying is that if you're not satisfied with an object's shadow detail: you'll have to go higher with the lightmap resolution! ...if you can't go higher than 4096 (or don't want to, because 1 big lightmap gets to calculate longer than more smaller ones) THEN you'll have to break up your mesh! /and might set lower lightmaps to them/
        I hope I was clear this time!

Comment

Working...
        X