Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Unreal doesn't support point and spot lights for mobile?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Unreal doesn't support point and spot lights for mobile?

I'm migrated from Unity couple weeks ago and still don't understand one thing: why in Unity (for mobile) we can add dynamic spotlights and even turn on high quality shadows (I've tested it on my phone), but at the same time in Unreal we can't add it even without shadows, we also can't add stationary spotlights, only directional light works fine on mobile!
    Why there's so many limitations? Is Unreal uses more complicated shadow system or what?
    Please, explain me this

Stationary lights are indeed much more complicated. They use special lightmaps containing the static shadows for individual lights, and shadows for dynamic objects are individually composited into the scene in multiple passes and blended with those lightmaps before the result is added to the screen.

You can add point lights on mobile, but they have to be movable not stationary, and there is a limit to how many can affect a single object. That is the case in Unity as well.

Comment

Check your project properties. There is an option how many dynamic lights you can use in scene (max 4).
      Rocketeer

my portfolio
      my youtube

Camera Volumes
      Procedurally Instanced Meshes
      Simple Portals
      Water Flow For UDK
      Setup Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by OwenWP View Post
        Stationary lights are indeed much more complicated. They use special lightmaps containing the static shadows for individual lights, and shadows for dynamic objects are individually composited into the scene in multiple passes and blended with those lightmaps before the result is added to the screen.

You can add point lights on mobile, but they have to be movable not stationary, and there is a limit to how many can affect a single object. That is the case in Unity as well.

Yes, I know about that, but I can't add spotlight even in movable mode, that's the main problem
        Originally posted by redbox View Post
        Check your project properties. There is an option how many dynamic lights you can use in scene (max 4).
        ​​​​​​​But still I can't use spot lights

Comment

Working...
        X