No announcement yet.

Toon Shading Models, Stylized Rendering Experiments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to build with vs 2019. It was the first time I used a github version of the unreal engine. I simply installed visual studio 2019 from scratch making sure to add only the components required by the documentation and the components that were needed by me for other things

Comment

IppolitoGermer
      Nice, thanks for the info. When I initially tried it on 4.22.0 there were lots of issues. Some of them required editing some source files in order to get specific prerequisites installed. So, either the latest version of 2019 or more recent versions of UE4 4.22 addressed those issues, making additional editing of source unnecessary to get it to build.

Comment

I updated the branch with the 4.22.3 hotfix.
        Changed the default branch to 4.22.3, so you will have to change your origin remote if you're using a different branch.
        https://github.com/kusogaki77/UnrealEngine

Still looking into getting ray traced reflections working. It's looking like it might be out of my league. That is, it might not be possible without massive work, seeing as at least a few of the models are based off of existing UE4 shader models that only partially support ray tracing: reference the bottom of this page (https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ing/index.html) for a rough list of ray tracing support by shader model.

(Note: If you updated visual studio after having built 4.22.2, you will need to clean the build first before updating to 4.22.3 and building)

Edit:
        BesuBaru

You looked at that ray tracing info page for how to set everything up, yeah?

i.e., Ray Tracing Features Optimization

• Setting Reflections and Translucency Maximum Roughness
          • Use Max Roughness to set a threshold for raytraced reflections on Materials. This can be done within the Post Process Volume or using the console command r.RayTracing.Reflections.MaxRoughness.
        • Setting a Maximum Ray Distance for Global Illumination, Reflections, and Translucency
          • This sets a maximum ray distance for each of these features to lower their cost and contribution in the scene.
          • Use the console to the MaxRayDistance console variable for each of these Ray Traced features. You can find them under r.RayTracing.*.
        You verified ray tracing works on non-toon shader models, yeah? Default Lit is likely the most supported shader model.
        Last edited by kusogaki77; 07-05-2019, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juice-Tin View Post
          Got it working a few weeks ago and it looks amazing!

Ran into a pretty big bug though, wondering if you might understand it kusogaki77?

I was turning the InfinitybladeWeapon materials into ToonSkin materials and came across this error:

The InfinityBladeWeapons oddly have 2 textures with squashed UV's. But when I have UV manipulated normals, with all the other channels plugged in I randomly get "undeclared Local1, Local2, Local3, etc (up to Local15)" errors.

Since you merged, would you have an idea of why/where this might be happening? I can't seem to find the code that's trying to reference those Local vars.

Thanks!
          I don't know why this error comes up sometimes even for non-toon materials. A coworker showed me a workaround for this for by plugging a value into pixeldepthoffset. I think I missed some autogenerated HLSL array somewhere.

And sorry about the late reply, I've been crunching on a project (that uses this code, actually). I'm really happy kusogaki77 has been helping a lot with this thread though. Thank you
          Last edited by doomfest; 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM.
          https://twitter.com/Doomfest

Comment

Originally posted by kusogaki77 View Post
            I updated the branch with the 4.22.3 hotfix.
            Changed the default branch to 4.22.3, so you will have to change your origin remote if you're using a different branch.
            https://github.com/kusogaki77/UnrealEngine

Still looking into getting ray traced reflections working. It's looking like it might be out of my league. That is, it might not be possible without massive work, seeing as at least a few of the models are based off of existing UE4 shader models that only partially support ray tracing: reference the bottom of this page (https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ing/index.html) for a rough list of ray tracing support by shader model.

(Note: If you updated visual studio after having built 4.22.2, you will need to clean the build first before updating to 4.22.3 and building)

Edit:
            BesuBaru

You looked at that ray tracing info page for how to set everything up, yeah?

i.e., Ray Tracing Features Optimization

• Setting Reflections and Translucency Maximum Roughness
              • Use Max Roughness to set a threshold for raytraced reflections on Materials. This can be done within the Post Process Volume or using the console command r.RayTracing.Reflections.MaxRoughness.
            • Setting a Maximum Ray Distance for Global Illumination, Reflections, and Translucency
              • This sets a maximum ray distance for each of these features to lower their cost and contribution in the scene.
              • Use the console to the MaxRayDistance console variable for each of these Ray Traced features. You can find them under r.RayTracing.*.
            You verified ray tracing works on non-toon shader models, yeah? Default Lit is likely the most supported shader model.
            HI!!Great work kusogaki77,but now i cant open the page, 404 not found. Where i can get your 4.22 branch ? thanks very much!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim_Zero View Post

kusogaki77 I've been using this version you compiled. I am running into an issue where I'm not getting the full effects of the IBL package, but I may be using it wrong? The issue I'm having is that the reflection capture is updating the reflections, but not removing the skylight lighting from a boxed off room. Are you encountering this? I'm not used to using the IBL thing. Please see images below:

Created a quick box room, have a bright blown out skylight.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	1576272

moving inside the completely enclosed room
              Click image for larger version  Name:	2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	1576274

You can see that it built the reflection correctly in the chrome ball
              Click image for larger version  Name:	3a.JPG Views:	1 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	1576273

Reducing the reflection cap's contribution shows original skylighting as intended
              Click image for larger version  Name:	3b.JPG Views:	1 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	1576275

If I turn the skylight intensity to 0 I kinda get the desired results, however the IBL setup is supposed to make it look like this without having to do that correct?
              Click image for larger version  Name:	4.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	1576276

The reason I'm posting here is since this was included in your compile I was wondering if this effect was intended? Or perhaps I'm just using it wrong, everything in the above images are set to movable objects.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Unfortunately, I'm having this same issue with the IBL feature (and was really hoping to use it for easier skylight exclusion in interiors). Just got the most up to date 4.21.2 version of the toon shading branch and have been struggling to figure out how to get this working for several hours. I've scoured the original IBL forum thread to no avail (no mention of the problem there).

All lights are movable, distance fields on, and it seems to correctly exclude skylight influence properly but only when used with highly-reflective materials. Matte materials don't work as expected at all and often either barely make a visual difference or even look brighter:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IBL_Ground_CaptureView.JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	1653925
              Reflection Viewmode shows correct exclusion of skylight and darkening in the desired radius

Click image for larger version  Name:	IBL_Ground_Matte.JPG Views:	1 Size:	148.5 KB ID:	1653926
              Matte materials do nothing or even additively brighten, while reflective materials like the walls keep the correct look if fully metal/rough.

Overall, this is a wonderful community contribution and the toon shading implementation is just what I've been looking for - But If someone is able to help me with the IBL issue i'd be incredibly grateful
              Last edited by Dark Shift Productions; 08-16-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Hey guys! Fantastic job! I was able to compile 4.20 and 4.22. I'm still just playing with it but getting some great results.

Today 4.23 was released, if you guys update the branch to 4.23, could you please use the source with CHAOS - destruction beta in it? It looks incredible and I could really use it on the game I'm still planning. Thanks!!

Comment

kusogaki77 any plans on your end to merge toon shading model into 4.23 ?
                  VR/AR Development [Portfolio | YouTube | LinkedIn]

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Shift Productions View Post
                    Unfortunately, I'm having this same issue with the IBL feature (and was really hoping to use it for easier skylight exclusion in interiors). Just got the most up to date 4.21.2 version of the toon shading branch and have been struggling to figure out how to get this working for several hours. I've scoured the original IBL forum thread to no avail (no mention of the problem there).

All lights are movable, distance fields on, and it seems to correctly exclude skylight influence properly but only when used with highly-reflective materials. Matte materials don't work as expected at all and often either barely make a visual difference or even look brighter:

Click image for larger version Name:	IBL_Ground_CaptureView.JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	1653925
                    Reflection Viewmode shows correct exclusion of skylight and darkening in the desired radius

Click image for larger version Name:	IBL_Ground_Matte.JPG Views:	1 Size:	148.5 KB ID:	1653926
                    Matte materials do nothing or even additively brighten, while reflective materials like the walls keep the correct look if fully metal/rough.

Overall, this is a wonderful community contribution and the toon shading implementation is just what I've been looking for - But If someone is able to help me with the IBL issue i'd be incredibly grateful
                    I've seen no such issue with the original IBL implementation (I'm the one who made it), so I'd also assume it's something with how it works together with the toon shading code

Originally posted by VirtualLilies View Post
                    kusogaki77 any plans on your end to merge toon shading model into 4.23 ?
                    I suppose he needs the localized IBL to work on 4.23 first. I'm working on it
                    Follow me on Twitter!
                    Developer of Elium - Prison Escape
                    Localized IBL for UE4

Comment

Working...
                    X