Distance Field Shadows passes through the objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance Field Shadows passes through the objects

The shadow produced by the cube passes through objects. Is it possible to solve this artifact? (Wall thicker and remove the Distance Field not acceptable as an answer).

You might try playing around with the r.AOGlobalDFResolution. Don't go too overboard with it as it can bog you down a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by IronicParadox View Post
      You might try playing around with the r.AOGlobalDFResolution. Don't go too overboard with it as it can bog you down a lot.
      What would you say is an acceptable number? I too have had this issue, canned development on a project because of it.

Comment

Ive had this as well, not only going through one object , but several walls and floors sometimes. I disabled all shadows in the project for now.

Comment

This solution does not solve the problem.

Comment

Try increasing the DF resolution of the meshes then.

Also, make sure to remember to UNIFORMLY scale meshes. If you don't, it breaks the DF on a lot of things like walls. If you can't uniformly scale, then I'd advise making segments out of BSPs, then converting them to static mesh actors and then creating their DFs. That way you can avoid non-uniformly scaling meshes and can have a uniformly distributed DF for the mesh. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the solution to your problem. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...DistanceFields (see the limitations at the end)
            Last edited by IronicParadox; 10-03-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Try increasing the DF resolution of the meshes then.

Also, make sure to remember to UNIFORMLY scale meshes. If you don't, it breaks the DF on a lot of things like walls. If you can't uniformly scale, then I'd advise making segments out of BSPs, then converting them to static mesh actors and then creating their DFs. That way you can avoid non-uniformly scaling meshes and can have a uniformly distributed DF for the mesh. In fact, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the solution to your problem. https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...DistanceFields (see the limitations at the end)
              I tried this with my project back when it was still active. Cranked the resolution up really high and it didn't make a difference. No scaling was taking place either.

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman123 View Post

I tried this with my project back when it was still active. Cranked the resolution up really high and it didn't make a difference. No scaling was taking place either.
                How were the wall segments made? Because that looks like it's a scaled cube. Try what I said where you convert BSPs into static meshes, give them DFs and then place them in the level.

Comment

How were the wall segments made? Because that looks like it's a scaled cube. Try what I said where you convert BSPs into static meshes, give them DFs and then place them in the level.
                  I'm not the OP by the way, I haven't posted any images.

When I ran into this issue, I was not using BSP. I have never used it actually, I do all my work in 3ds Max.

Comment

Did you get a fix for this?

Comment

Working...
                    X