Clear All

8 textures for mobile HOW?!?!

Look there are some really amazing looking mobile games
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dark-Avenger-3-Apk-for-Android_pp_830.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1501132
    (Darkness rises from the google play store)

But, I cant get a landscape to load because I have too many textures.
    How do you get something like that in EIGHT TEXTURES!?!?!

I have channel packed what I could (ugh need better program and I could manage a few more) I have them all set to share: wrap
    I have reduced their size....

On and on. Every bit of documentation that I can find on optimizing them. And yet THERE ARE SO MANY!

I have wood post...albedo and a normal
    grass the grass and normal
    rock walls albedo and normal
    a few on the character (used a lot base colors here actually, thank you DUSTER!)

but there are still a stone path, a beech, a building, his weapon(s)

Is there another trick I am missing? something special i should do on mobile?

why do you think it uses only 8 textures?

Landscape material have limitations for texture samples, not sure is it 8 or so, but this is only for that material, not whole game.
    Rocketeer

my portfolio
    my youtube

Procedurally Instanced Meshes
    Simple Portals
    Water Flow For UDK
    Setup Swarm

Comment

Yeah the texture limit is per material, not per game. The max for non mobile is 16 unless you use shared wrapped (which should be the default but isn't according to a staff post)
      ive never done mobile, but if it says 8 max then its still per material.
      CEO of Prydetech

https://www.artstation.com/ixicalibur

Originally posted by ixicalibur
      Here you go, this is a link to every tutorial you could ever need plus instructions to access all the collective knowledge of mankind: [Super massive awesome link that every amazing game developer uses to instantly learn to be super awesome at making stuff]

Comment

Originally posted by ixicalibur View Post
        Yeah the texture limit is per material, not per game. The max for non mobile is 16 unless you use shared wrapped (which should be the default but isn't according to a staff post)
        ive never done mobile, but if it says 8 max then its still per material.

Originally posted by redbox View Post
        why do you think it uses only 8 textures?

Landscape material have limitations for texture samples, not sure is it 8 or so, but this is only for that material, not whole game.

Oh 8 per MATERIAL...oh so then landscape wont load for a different reason...

(might be the couple I just found I didnt realize were still in the level until I was going through some assets. I have something like 6 2048 textures still loading because I didnt get them targeted to the new smaller ones, and I have read theat only a couple 2048 can steal the whole memory.

Documents I've seen say SOME mobiles can do the more than 8 now. But it's still recommended to stay below that due to people having older hardware still....

I'll just go through everything one at time again and see what I can find..
        maybe rebuild the landscape from scratch and see if I catch a setting that I have toggled wrong, or something I set up wrong...

I at least learned from this process. I would hit apply/build and it would compile textures to 25K+

now everything is 1k

and the amount of demand is significantly lower.
        Last edited by Cultusfit; 07-14-2018, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X