Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    in my case the gpu is malfunctioning.
    how to switch back to cpu?

    Comment


      Originally posted by coloss85 View Post
      in my case the gpu is malfunctioning.
      how to switch back to cpu?
      If you didn't backup the replaced files, select "verify" in the engine's drop down menu and it should restore the original files (cpu).
      See picture

      Comment


        This is so good - the results are consistently gorgeous and so much better than "irradiance mapping".

        I know it's been asked before, back in 2018 - but are IES and area lights on the roadmap for support?

        Comment


          KM3d300 It's not on development anymore. Luoshuang was hired by Epic and is now working on a GPU Lightmass version for the engine. He was starting a new version of it already with support for new stuff and improved lightmapping, specially on UV seams. So I believe that'll all be included in the Engine. But how long from now? No idea.
          Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
          Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

          Comment


            Ah, thanks RVillani

            Came to the party quite late so thanks for the update.

            Comment


              hello,

              I am working in a project for this last months in ue 4.22...till now it was everything perfect, but since I am trying to do the last lightmass build I am having some problems...the configuration is the same as in previous builds, I am working with the "Extreme settings" and the problem is that suddenly, the build times increased a lot...the same scenen that it took almost 6 hours, now is taking 2 days...as I said, nothing new in the scene, exactly the same...any ideas? thank you very much!

              Comment


                Originally posted by Idgi_ View Post
                hello,

                I am working in a project for this last months in ue 4.22...till now it was everything perfect, but since I am trying to do the last lightmass build I am having some problems...the configuration is the same as in previous builds, I am working with the "Extreme settings" and the problem is that suddenly, the build times increased a lot...the same scenen that it took almost 6 hours, now is taking 2 days...as I said, nothing new in the scene, exactly the same...any ideas? thank you very much!
                When that happened to me I figured later it was a driver issue (there's also something bout it on this thread). NVidia drivers will prioritize any 3D work over CUDA processing. So minimize Unreal while building, if your browser uses hardware acceleration minimize it too or turn that off and, in my case, I have to close Wallpaper Engine too. Anything that might be using the GPU for graphics processing, shut it down or minimize it. I saw an instant speed difference after closing/minimizing those while GPU Lightmass does its thing.
                Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
                Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames, Neo Kinect

                Comment


                  Hi there, quick question. Where do you modify quality settings? I understood that it ignores the settings in the editor UI. Is modifying NumPrimaryGISamples and NumSecondaryGISamples in the ini enough?
                  Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                  Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System Sale 50% off!!
                  TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by RVillani View Post

                    When that happened to me I figured later it was a driver issue (there's also something bout it on this thread). NVidia drivers will prioritize any 3D work over CUDA processing. So minimize Unreal while building, if your browser uses hardware acceleration minimize it too or turn that off and, in my case, I have to close Wallpaper Engine too. Anything that might be using the GPU for graphics processing, shut it down or minimize it. I saw an instant speed difference after closing/minimizing those while GPU Lightmass does its thing.
                    Yes, already noticed that, and these last builds the browser was closed and the Unreal editor minimized...so there was nothing going on in my computer appart from the build light..the funny thing is that the ventilator of the GPU is almost not working when baking that level, wich means the calculation goes slower as normal during those bake lights...but if I bake anything other, like the same level with just a part of the whole project, the ventilator is working full and the velocity of bake is back to normal, also in the build statics when it goes slower it says "overall xxx seconds 10.72Mrays/s" and in other cases can go up to 277,76 or 340,22 Mrays/s, so I guess that is something more objective than the ventilator ...not sure why all this happen

                    EDIT: after 7hours of waiting, only got 10% done at an "overall 22332.44s 16.33Mrays/s" and still 47h to go, but it looks like the most it does the slower it gets.... the GPU is almost not working, resource monitor says it is at 5% (CUDA 0-100%)...the Memory at 60% and the CPU at 21%
                    It looks like performance is down and I do not know why...ANY HELP?
                    Last edited by Idgi_; 09-18-2019, 04:47 AM.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Nocturness View Post
                      hi guys i have huge problem with 4.23.0 gpulightmass on yesterday. (binary version)

                      BUILD SUCCESSFUL for win64 but when i run the package exe i get this message. i did check RHI settings and setted dx12. (raytace activated project)

                      https://i.ibb.co/Mpmy0cZ/packerrror.jpg

                      Engine version verified and problem gone. A really big problem on gpu lightmass with 4.23.0 (even packaging successful but not working). please alert users/developers to this problem.
                      I have just updated the binaries after Yujiang identified the problem.
                      Packaging should now be working correctly.
                      You would need to download the updated binaries from the same link as before, and apply them.
                      Let me know if the problem is still present after updating. Otherwise, send thanks to Yujiang!
                      Last edited by pax invictus; 09-17-2019, 04:33 PM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by scha View Post
                        Hi there, quick question. Where do you modify quality settings? I understood that it ignores the settings in the editor UI. Is modifying NumPrimaryGISamples and NumSecondaryGISamples in the ini enough?
                        I am not an expert, but did you use the script to install?
                        If you did, there you can find the "lightmassconfiguration.bat" where you can change quality settings

                        the only thing that does not ignore is: "Lightmass parameters and quality settings specified in the editor are ignored except for Num Indirect Lighting Bounces" ... quoted from https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ss#post1460002

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Idgi_ View Post

                          I am not an expert, but did you use the script to install?
                          If you did, there you can find the "lightmassconfiguration.bat" where you can change quality settings

                          the only thing that does not ignore is: "Lightmass parameters and quality settings specified in the editor are ignored except for Num Indirect Lighting Bounces" ... quoted from https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...ss#post1460002
                          No I just copied the files. I tried using NumPrimaryGISamples=256, but I think it's a little bit over the top, took like 25 min. Now trying 128, seems it will take about 5 mins only.

                          edit: yep, seems 128 is the right number And it looks good! but it looks slightly different than the normal lightmass, like less smooth.
                          Last edited by scha; 09-17-2019, 04:54 PM.
                          Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                          Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System Sale 50% off!!
                          TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by scha View Post

                            No I just copied the files. I tried using NumPrimaryGISamples=256, but I think it's a little bit over the top, took like 25 min. Now trying 128, seems it will take about 5 mins only.

                            edit: yep, seems 128 is the right number And it looks good! but it looks slightly different than the normal lightmass, like less smooth.
                            with the "extreme settings" that I am working, on the ini says:
                            NumPrimaryGISamples=128
                            NumSecondaryGISamples=32

                            I have also changed the fireflyclamp to 10, the only number that gives me no bright splotches

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Idgi_ View Post

                              with the "extreme settings" that I am working, on the ini says:
                              NumPrimaryGISamples=128
                              NumSecondaryGISamples=32

                              I have also changed the fireflyclamp to 10, the only number that gives me no bright splotches
                              Thanks. I used 128,64,1000 and it was pretty fast. I didn't notice any splotches, but the shadows look more "hard" with the GPU version.
                              For example, there are the same view baked with CPU and with GPU. I like more how the shadows look in the CPU version.

                              Is there some parameter to make GPU shadows more soft?


                              Click image for larger version  Name:	InkedScreenShot00002_LI.jpg Views:	2 Size:	488.7 KB ID:	1666113
                              GPU Lightmass

                              Click image for larger version  Name:	InkedScreenShot00000_LI.jpg Views:	2 Size:	478.8 KB ID:	1666114
                              CPU Lightmass
                              Snap Plugin for EditorSnap Plugin for Games
                              Modular Japanese HouseScaffold System Sale 50% off!!
                              TwitterBlogYoutubeitch.io

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by scha View Post

                                Thanks. I used 128,64,1000 and it was pretty fast. I didn't notice any splotches, but the shadows look more "hard" with the GPU version.
                                For example, there are the same view baked with CPU and with GPU. I like more how the shadows look in the CPU version.

                                Is there some parameter to make GPU shadows more soft?


                                sorry, no idea...did you use Num Indirect Lighting bounces = 100 ??
                                or maybe changing the HDRI if you are using one, I would not expect same results in two different ways of calculating light...just talking for the experience with vray cpu and gpu that have also a lot of differences...but it is just a guess
                                Last edited by Idgi_; 09-18-2019, 12:08 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X