No announcement yet.

Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZacD Well, it's actually good news! No more fiddling with DLLs and source code. I just hope it's not going to drag into 4.25+ and will run on 10xx GPUs (since Nvidia supports RTX on those via drivers).

Comment

Yup, good news, but no updates or replacement for a while. I'm hoping the lightmap padding issues get fixed in 4.23 (they were mentioned a few pages back).

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
        ZacD Well, it's actually good news! No more fiddling with DLLs and source code. I just hope it's not going to drag into 4.25+ and will run on 10xx GPUs (since Nvidia supports RTX on those via drivers).
        I thought it needed CUDA, not RTX?
        behance.net/fael097

Comment

Originally posted by fael097 View Post

I thought it needed CUDA, not RTX?
          This GPULightmass does, yes.
          The one currently in development uses DXR, letting it support any gpu/compute device that supports DXR.
          (Which means Ati and Intel support, once they have devices + drivers for DXR support.)

Comment

Yes, GPULM uses CUDA cores to compute static shadowing for baked light maps.

RTX is not used for this process at the moment. But maybe, as I mentioned in earlier posts, it could be used for an instant light map bake cause nVidia has already tested this solution.
            You just wait few seconds and you have baked maps with - for example - 15 diffuse bounces.
            Maybe Luo and the Epic team will change some in bake process to avoid UVW unwrapping for light maps.

I think that already used light maps system could be improved by automatic smooth MIPMAP upscaling lower resolution ones when the camera is going toward the surface.
            It will give more blurred shadows at close range but you will not see the "pixelation" of low resolutions light map.
            https://www.artstation.com/tomaszmuszynski

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	df.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	1635731 Hello to everyone, does anyone has the problem that get stuck at 99 % when baking the light? What can I do?

I am currently working on UE 21.3 and everything was working fine till the previous Sunday.

I have a GTX1080, i7 6700k and 32Gb RAM

Thank you to everyone for any help you can give me and special thanks to the developer/s

Attached Files
              Last edited by Holygan; 06-26-2019, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Hello !
                I'm getting this error with unreal 4.22.2, I used the automatic installation tool and didn't had any errors.
                Hope someone can help, thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by Defcon44 View Post
                  Hello !
                  I'm getting this error with unreal 4.22.2, I used the automatic installation tool and didn't had any errors.
                  Hope someone can help, thanks !
                  Try cleaning Cache and validating in Swarm Agent

Comment

Originally posted by Bushey View Post
                    Fantastic job on this Luoshuang I've just installed it and am taking a look at the GPU baker in a simple test scene with a Skylight and a directional light in 4.22

I'm getting some noise from the skylight that I can't remove completely by cranking up the Lightmass, lightmap resolution and setting the lightbake quality to Production. Are there any settings that can be changed for the GPU baker as well? Or is this a by product of the GPU rendering? No grain/splotchiness when used with directional lights. See attached pics for more info.

Many thanks,

Paul

Disable "Compress Lightmaps" in World Settings

Comment

Originally posted by Bushey View Post
                      Fantastic job on this Luoshuang I've just installed it and am taking a look at the GPU baker in a simple test scene with a Skylight and a directional light in 4.22

I'm getting some noise from the skylight that I can't remove completely by cranking up the Lightmass, lightmap resolution and setting the lightbake quality to Production. Are there any settings that can be changed for the GPU baker as well? Or is this a by product of the GPU rendering? No grain/splotchiness when used with directional lights. See attached pics for more info.

Many thanks,

Paul

Change in ...Epic Games\UE_4.22\Engine\Config\BaseLigthmass.ini to this:
                      [DevOptions.GPULightmass]
                      NumPrimaryGISamples=128
                      NumSecondaryGISamples=64

It will increase the bake time but effects will be very good.( good balance quality/time )

NOTICE: Avoid to use point lights near to very reflective (metallic) distorted surfaces (like for example GU10 bubble full-of-squares reflector type ) otherwise you will see tremendous number of strange white splotches on the walls. Probably increasing those Num parameters to insane values (i.e. 1024/512) could solve that problem but the bake time will be too....ooo long an results can be uncertain.

Comment

Originally posted by Holygan View Post
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	df.jpg Views:	2 Size:	417.1 KB ID:	1635731 Hello to everyone, does anyone has the problem that get stuck at 99 % when baking the light? What can I do?

I am currently working on UE 21.3 and everything was working fine till the previous Sunday.

I have a GTX1080, i7 6700k and 32Gb RAM

Thank you to everyone for any help you can give me and special thanks to the developer/s

Probably you made this problem by using very complex object with huge number of UVW islands and overscaled LM resolution ( i.e 1024px+).
                        Sometimes is better to have complex object as separate sub-objects with own Ligthmaps and simpler UVW and then put them together into an single Actor Object.As I noticed the SWARM uses single CPU thread for certain lightmap. So even if you have 128 CPU threads in your computer and just a single one very complex LM then only single one CPU thread will be used for calculating that complex LM ( !!! insane waste of CPU power )

Very long CPU afterprocessing can be visible also when you are using very dense VLM cells ( very small size like 1cm ).
                        Last edited by Muchasty; 06-26-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muchasty View Post

Probably you made this problem by using very complex object with huge number of UVW islands and overscaled LM resolution ( i.e 1024px+).
                          Sometimes is better to have complex object as separate sub-objects with own Ligthmaps and simpler UVW and then put them together into an single Actor Object.As I noticed the SWARM uses single CPU thread for certain lightmap. So even if you have 128 CPU threads in your computer and just a single one very complex LM then only single one CPU thread will be used for calculating that complex LM ( !!! insane waste of CPU power )

Very long CPU afterprocessing can be visible also when you are using very dense VLM cells ( very small size like 1cm ).
                          Thank you very much! Yeah, indeed I have a bunch of complex meshes merge in to one SM. I finally did it, but my fix its leaving it baking and let it be like half an hour more, even it looks stuck and not doing nothing. Was more like that I got scared because didnt happen before.

Thank you anyway for taking your time and replying me, means a lot. I'm currently finishing my demoreel, that I would post it in here so you will see how I lighted my scene.

GPU baking it's amazing.

Comment

Hello
                            First I'd like to say "VOTE LUOSHUANG FOR PRESIDENT!"
                            No really man everyone already benefit from your hard work. Thank you.

I need to ask something about HDRI.
                            I've loaded an HDRI map, made all the necessary configurations but it looks like there's no light coming in.
                            I read almost all the posts in this topic (many of them say that HDRI works without any other source of light) and I can't seem to make it work.
                            Please have a look at the attached screenshot

Unreal version: 4.20.3
                            using
                            GPULightmassIntegration-4.20.2-UnifiedSettings

If anyone knows and like to reply back, please.
                            Thanks again
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.png
Views:	103
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	1637147

Comment

HDRIs are not a replacement for having a directional light for the sun. It's just how the engine is designed.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
                                HDRIs are not a replacement for having a directional light for the sun. It's just how the engine is designed.
                                I see. But it looks like this fellow made it without any other light source. He's using HDRI, deleted all the rest of the light sources and a nice light comes in from it. He's even using Luishuangs' GPU lightmass:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFtxB5u6u5I

Comment

Working...
                                X