No announcement yet.

Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luoshuang - still have some splotches. They appear very rarely. In this case I suppose that they could created by reflective material in the window.
    If you would like to check I can send whole scene to you.
    I use 4.20.x Unified Settings GPU Lightmass with Extreme Setup.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	splotches.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	1549718
    https://www.artstation.com/tomaszmuszynski

Comment

Originally posted by zeldads View Post

It will be great to start by an official support from Epic about the Lightmass GPU... I had a meeting with Epic (Engine tech director and Senior tech art relationship with studios) this week and when I asked about official support they told us it was not in the development plan since they're not supporting new features they don't use on their own games (Because they cannot support fixing issues if they're working everyday with). A little bit sad about that, even if Luoshuang is doing a great job it's complicated to integrate his tools on a pipeline on AAA production if there are no "official" support. But this tool is a time-game-changer, it's making the difference when you have long time about building lighting on dozens levels.
      Did they mention anything regarding the lightmass successor they're working on internally (non RTX) and also if RTX will be used to bake lightmaps in the future?
      ArtStation

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post

Did they mention anything regarding the lightmass successor they're working on internally (non RTX) and also if RTX will be used to bake lightmaps in the future?
        No plan for lighting in next version for now (projecting until 2.23/24), even if they are working on few things but nothing official for now... For RTX, I don't remember any comment apart obviously "forget for console" (we're doing console games so...). Obvious answer regarding actual hardware (consoles are always PC 3-4 ago...). There are very good things coming anyway outside of lighting subject, about rendering... It will start with 4.22 and should be finished few versions after. Waiting for official announcement to talk about it, very exciting things!
        Lighting artist - Sumo Digital
        www.quentinpapleux.com

Comment

Thanks for the info! For RTX, I'm only interesting in it's potential to speed up lightmap baking. All the runtime stuff (shadows/AO etc.) doesn't matter for games since the hardware install base will be <0.1% for the foreseeable future.
          ArtStation

Comment

Anyone having issues with Landscape actors? I'm trying to build my lighting using gpu lightmass 4.20.2 mediumquality, and lightmass keeps crashing with this error message popping up:

Attached Files

Comment

Update: Setting the static lighting resolution to 128 instead of 512 and LOD to 1 or 2 seems to fix the issue for my situation.

Comment

512 is pretty extreme, even 128 is still very high. Don't forget to check the lightmap density via Alt+0, just to make sure you're using the optimal res.
                ArtStation

Comment

Waiting for the 4.21 new version ^_^

This tool is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by AVLX0510 View Post
                    Update: Setting the static lighting resolution to 128 instead of 512 and LOD to 1 or 2 seems to fix the issue for my situation.
                    Yep, landscape's static lighting resolution is a multiplier on 'how many lightmap texels per quad' - even 8 is considered to be very high.

Comment

Originally posted by samdax View Post

This tool is amazing!
                      Same here! Version 4.20.3 worked flawlessly for us!

Comment

Waiting for 4.21 looks like you've got work to do Luoshuang!

Comment

Originally posted by samdax View Post
                          I'll probably delay 4.21 because I'm working on an overhaul of GPULightmass.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1550985

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	1550986

I've implemented instancing which will greatly improve memory footprint in large scenes where there are lots of duplicated objects (e.g. forests). Scene shown above is MAWI's Redwood Collection. Masked material support hasn't been ported over so the lightmaps are darker than they should be.
                          Ray rejection by LOD/HLOD is also implemented due to instancing.
                          However, you may see a 50% perf drop in low complexity scenes.

Also, handling of imperfect lightmap UVs has been improved:

Name:	ScreenShot00002.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1550988Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00003.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1550987

Note: It is still a bad idea to use lightmap for trees, mainly because of huge surface area + two sided materials. In Lightmass at most of the time the back face will turn pitch black. While GPULightmass can handle them specially so that they will not be black, the directionality (normal map) will be lost.

Comment

@Luoshuang: Ever thought about getting a patreon page going? You definitely deserve compensation for the beauty that is GPULightmass!
                            Last edited by The_Distiller; 11-12-2018, 05:27 PM.
                            ArtStation

Comment

Luoshuang

Any chance we can have runtime switch between CPULightmass and GPULightmass ? I don't really want to see 50% drop in performance in "simple" scenes (a way less complex than the forest) and if performance drop is inevitable, I'd rather bake with CPU Lightmass for simple scenes and switch back to GPU Lightmass for complex scenes (but I can't waste time rebuilding source every time I need to switch or have 2 different forks and 2 identical projects to maintain).

Comment

Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
                                I'll probably delay 4.21 because I'm working on an overhaul of GPULightmass.
                                Awesome, thanks. Still using it, I will have sample renderings of a current project in the next week to post that uses GPU Lightmass.
                                Ryzen 2 2700X / 32GB DDR4 / RTX 2080 TI / Sketchup Pro / Substance Designer and Source / Unreal Studio

Comment

Working...
                                X