Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thanks for the info! For RTX, I'm only interesting in it's potential to speed up lightmap baking. All the runtime stuff (shadows/AO etc.) doesn't matter for games since the hardware install base will be <0.1% for the foreseeable future.
    ArtStation - Portfolio

    Comment


      Anyone having issues with Landscape actors? I'm trying to build my lighting using gpu lightmass 4.20.2 mediumquality, and lightmass keeps crashing with this error message popping up:

      Attached Files

      Comment


        Update: Setting the static lighting resolution to 128 instead of 512 and LOD to 1 or 2 seems to fix the issue for my situation.

        Comment


          512 is pretty extreme, even 128 is still very high. Don't forget to check the lightmap density via Alt+0, just to make sure you're using the optimal res.
          ArtStation - Portfolio

          Comment


            Waiting for the 4.21 new version ^_^

            This tool is amazing!

            Comment


              Originally posted by AVLX0510 View Post
              Update: Setting the static lighting resolution to 128 instead of 512 and LOD to 1 or 2 seems to fix the issue for my situation.
              Yep, landscape's static lighting resolution is a multiplier on 'how many lightmap texels per quad' - even 8 is considered to be very high.

              Comment


                Originally posted by samdax View Post
                Waiting for the 4.21 new version ^_^

                This tool is amazing!
                Same here! Version 4.20.3 worked flawlessly for us!

                Comment


                  Waiting for 4.21 looks like you've got work to do Luoshuang!

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by samdax View Post
                    Waiting for the 4.21 new version ^_^
                    I'll probably delay 4.21 because I'm working on an overhaul of GPULightmass.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1550985
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	1550986

                    I've implemented instancing which will greatly improve memory footprint in large scenes where there are lots of duplicated objects (e.g. forests). Scene shown above is MAWI's Redwood Collection. Masked material support hasn't been ported over so the lightmaps are darker than they should be.
                    Ray rejection by LOD/HLOD is also implemented due to instancing.
                    However, you may see a 50% perf drop in low complexity scenes.

                    Also, handling of imperfect lightmap UVs has been improved:

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00002.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1550988Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00003.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1550987

                    Note: It is still a bad idea to use lightmap for trees, mainly because of huge surface area + two sided materials. In Lightmass at most of the time the back face will turn pitch black. While GPULightmass can handle them specially so that they will not be black, the directionality (normal map) will be lost.

                    Comment


                      @Luoshuang: Ever thought about getting a patreon page going? You definitely deserve compensation for the beauty that is GPULightmass!
                      Last edited by The_Distiller; 11-12-2018, 05:27 PM.
                      ArtStation - Portfolio

                      Comment


                        Luoshuang

                        Any chance we can have runtime switch between CPULightmass and GPULightmass ? I don't really want to see 50% drop in performance in "simple" scenes (a way less complex than the forest) and if performance drop is inevitable, I'd rather bake with CPU Lightmass for simple scenes and switch back to GPU Lightmass for complex scenes (but I can't waste time rebuilding source every time I need to switch or have 2 different forks and 2 identical projects to maintain).

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
                          I'll probably delay 4.21 because I'm working on an overhaul of GPULightmass.
                          Awesome, thanks. Still using it, I will have sample renderings of a current project in the next week to post that uses GPU Lightmass.
                          Ryzen 9 3950X / 64GB DDR4 / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti / Sketchup Pro / Substance Designer and Source / Unreal Studio / Twinmotion

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                            @Luoshuang: Ever thought about getting a patreon page going? You definitely deserve compensation for the beauty that is GPULightmass!
                            well, I believe as an Epic employee I'm not allowed to do so... However, I feel great happiness when I see my work can benefit so many people.

                            Originally posted by motorsep View Post

                            Any chance we can have runtime switch between CPULightmass and GPULightmass ? I don't really want to see 50% drop in performance in "simple" scenes (a way less complex than the forest) and if performance drop is inevitable, I'd rather bake with CPU Lightmass for simple scenes and switch back to GPU Lightmass for complex scenes (but I can't waste time rebuilding source every time I need to switch or have 2 different forks and 2 identical projects to maintain).
                            I think I can add it to my plan. Also an interesting thing is that according to my measurement GPULightmass is actually 25~50x faster than CPU regarding indirect lighting sampling. However there is a lot of work that is still done by CPU (namely Signed Distance Field shadowmap calculation). So one purpose of this overhaul is to move these to GPU too. If someone has been already experiencing this problem (very low GPU execution time compare to total baking time) maybe can consider sending the scene to me to investigate.
                            Last edited by Luoshuang; 11-12-2018, 11:23 PM.

                            Comment


                              Hey Luoshuang - Got a question with the upcoming rewrite of the GPU lightmass tool. Will it be possible to support AMD cards?

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
                                Hey Luoshuang - Got a question with the upcoming rewrite of the GPU lightmass tool. Will it be possible to support AMD cards?
                                Unfortunately this is the least likely thing... I tried to investigate RadeonRays & OpenCL once upon a time, and the conclusion is I'm not competent using them to deliver the features I want in my spare time. It is certainly possible to rebase GPULightmass on OpenCL, however that means a great amount of effort and it may also means it will take way more time to deliver the same thing because I'm not familiar with OpenCL.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X