No announcement yet.

Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you! this is an amazing day for me discovering this.

btw does the light mass calculation uses the ram or Vram?
    in default unreal i had to keep the sum resolution of my static meshes below my Ram limit.
    i have 16 gb Ram and 8gb Vram, is the limit 16 or 8 gb?

Thank you again. wonderful thing for UE

Comment

Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post
      've uploaded a new 4.20.2 version which allows you to set GPULightmass quality settings directly in BaseLightmass.ini without swapping between different versions.
      Amazing!
      Do we need to restart Unreal for changes to take effect, or can they be done on-the-fly?
      Any other changes we should be aware of?
      Technology Officer
      Magma3D

Comment

Originally posted by Situx View Post
        Amazing!
        Do we need to restart Unreal for changes to take effect, or can they be done on-the-fly?
        Any other changes we should be aware of?
        i just made a test,
        you can change the baselight.ini on the fly, no need to restart.
        which is awesome

Comment

Would you like to upload a small scene reproducing this problem so that I can look into it?
          Yes. I will do it later today I think.
          https://www.artstation.com/tomaszmuszynski

Comment

Originally posted by Muchasty View Post

Yes. I will do it later today I think.
            I took a look into it. Looks like it is caused by some mismatch between smoothed shading normal and triangle normal (I tried to replace the chair material with a simple white one and the problem is gone). Currently this is not easy to fix in GPULightmass, so my advice would be try to tessellate your model more (in modeling software, not using material) and see whether it helps.
            Last edited by Luoshuang; 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I had to install GPU lightmass 4.20 on more than 10 computers today, so I made a script that will perform a batch of checks and allow to change from GPU bake quality without the need to restart Unreal. It will also check quite a few other things. Hope it helps someone.

Now on GitHub: https://github.com/sgeraldes/LightmassConfiguration/

Instructions:
              1) unzip to an empty folder.
              2) double click the .bat file

The script will download GPU lightmass 4.20.2 from the OP into the same folder, backup CPU Lightmass for you, and install GPU on your choosen quality level.
              It features a Restor CPU option, and on-the-fly switch of GPU Lightmass with UnrealEd running (no need to restart unreal).

It works with 4.20, but can easily be adapted for 4.19.x if needed by adjusting a few parameters inside the file (just edit with Notepad).

Requirements:
              - Windows 10 (not tested in earlier versions, may work but no guarantees)
              - Admin privileges

The script has the following features:
              1. Show you the version of Nvidia drivers running (and any other display driver that's running, i.e.: Intel HD) and warn if not sufficient
              2. Check if you have TDR settings as recommended, IF NOT: the script will ask you to do the changes for you (optional)
              3. Allows changing GPU Lightmass quality settings (fast preview, medium, high-ultra, extreme) without needing to restart unreal.
              4. Backup CPU lightmass for you and give you the option to go restore it later
              5. It will override BaseLightmass.ini on your Unreal folder (it will first backup in the zip archive the version you have and allow to restore at will).
              6. Checks if GPU Lightmass is installed, if not...
                • Download the latest version of GPU Lightmass for you from Luoshuang's links
                • Download 7Z.exe to quickly backup and perform decompression of the files in the archives
                • Finds the installation directory of Unreal, and unzip the files there according to the quality you select (will prompt you for it)
              7. If UnrealEd is running, the script will disable the option to change GPU and CPU lightmass as it needs to access files that are in use to do so.
              Please note: The script will give an error while copying when trying to change the quality settings with Unreal Ed running. That's perfectly fine, the file is just been copied over to be sure it remains the same. I guess I could just copy GPULightmassKernel.dll instead of the whole bunch, but I just think it works as-is just fine. The copy of a single will fail but GPU Lightmass will work the same.

Also note: the script can't change from CPU to GPU lightmass while the Unreal Editor is running, so the script will check for that and disable the option accordingly.

The only file that has the changes for quality, and the only file that is in any way different between the different packs, is GPULightmassKernel.dll (I did a binary compare of each file to be sure).

To use:
              - Simply download LightmassConfiguration.zip and decompress the .bat file to any folder (empty is better)
              - Double-click it, it will ask for admin permissions and do the rest, prompting you each step of the way

Click image for larger version Name:	LightmassConfigurationv0.2.1.png Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	1519522

UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2: Modified to allow easier updates of the engine. Fixed some bugs. better detection of some parameters and added a fail-safe in case it fails.TDR settings now in decimal instead of hexa.
              UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2.1: The script now actually checks for driver version and warns the user if the driver does not meet the requirement.
              Maaannnnnnnnn............ You are a good maaannnn........ Thanks...

Comment

I had to install GPU lightmass 4.20 on more than 10 computers today, so I made a script that will perform a batch of checks and allow to change from GPU bake quality without the need to restart Unreal. It will also check quite a few other things. Hope it helps someone.

Now on GitHub: https://github.com/sgeraldes/LightmassConfiguration/

Instructions:
                1) unzip to an empty folder.
                2) double click the .bat file

The script will download GPU lightmass 4.20.2 from the OP into the same folder, backup CPU Lightmass for you, and install GPU on your choosen quality level.
                It features a Restor CPU option, and on-the-fly switch of GPU Lightmass with UnrealEd running (no need to restart unreal).

It works with 4.20, but can easily be adapted for 4.19.x if needed by adjusting a few parameters inside the file (just edit with Notepad).

Requirements:
                - Windows 10 (not tested in earlier versions, may work but no guarantees)
                - Admin privileges

The script has the following features:
                1. Show you the version of Nvidia drivers running (and any other display driver that's running, i.e.: Intel HD) and warn if not sufficient
                2. Check if you have TDR settings as recommended, IF NOT: the script will ask you to do the changes for you (optional)
                3. Allows changing GPU Lightmass quality settings (fast preview, medium, high-ultra, extreme) without needing to restart unreal.
                4. Backup CPU lightmass for you and give you the option to go restore it later
                5. It will override BaseLightmass.ini on your Unreal folder (it will first backup in the zip archive the version you have and allow to restore at will).
                6. Checks if GPU Lightmass is installed, if not...
                  • Download the latest version of GPU Lightmass for you from Luoshuang's links
                  • Download 7Z.exe to quickly backup and perform decompression of the files in the archives
                  • Finds the installation directory of Unreal, and unzip the files there according to the quality you select (will prompt you for it)
                7. If UnrealEd is running, the script will disable the option to change GPU and CPU lightmass as it needs to access files that are in use to do so.
                Please note: The script will give an error while copying when trying to change the quality settings with Unreal Ed running. That's perfectly fine, the file is just been copied over to be sure it remains the same. I guess I could just copy GPULightmassKernel.dll instead of the whole bunch, but I just think it works as-is just fine. The copy of a single will fail but GPU Lightmass will work the same.

Also note: the script can't change from CPU to GPU lightmass while the Unreal Editor is running, so the script will check for that and disable the option accordingly.

The only file that has the changes for quality, and the only file that is in any way different between the different packs, is GPULightmassKernel.dll (I did a binary compare of each file to be sure).

To use:
                - Simply download LightmassConfiguration.zip and decompress the .bat file to any folder (empty is better)
                - Double-click it, it will ask for admin permissions and do the rest, prompting you each step of the way

Click image for larger version Name:	LightmassConfigurationv0.2.1.png Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	1519522

UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2: Modified to allow easier updates of the engine. Fixed some bugs. better detection of some parameters and added a fail-safe in case it fails.TDR settings now in decimal instead of hexa.
                UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2.1: The script now actually checks for driver version and warns the user if the driver does not meet the requirement.
                If you have UAC disabled in Windows 10 then it does not work. REG.exe is returning an error when batch is checking the registry info.
                The solution then is to create a link for that BAT, move it to the Desktop and run from the Desktop link.

Comment

Originally posted by Muchasty View Post

If you have UAC disabled in Windows 10 then it does not work. REG.exe is returning an error when batch is checking the registry info.
                  The solution then is to create a link for that BAT, move it to the Desktop and run from the Desktop link.
                  I may have make a mistake somewhere as it should not return an error with UAC disabled. In fact I just tried and it works. Glad you found a workaround. Running the bat file with rightclick "run as administrator" should also work. I tried disabling UAC and found no issues. May try other things tomorrow.

Technology Officer
                  Magma3D

Comment

I may have make a mistake somewhere as it should not return an error with UAC disabled. In fact I just tried and it works. Glad you found a workaround. Running the bat file with rightclick "run as administrator" should also work. I tried disabling UAC and found no issues. May try other things tomorrow.
                    I do not know why (my) Windows treat this script so badly. Then I try to run as a BAT or even Link from Total Commander at batch location then have an error even when run it as an administrator. Just putting the link on the desktop solves problem. But running the REG query from [WINDOWS]->Run->cmd works perfectly.
                    Maybe my system works so wired .

Comment

Originally posted by Farshid View Post
                      hi all
                      again my problem with hdri skylight in gpu lightmass 4.20.2 exterme

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00026.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1522622Click image for larger version

Name:	image_146397.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1522619

Unlike last time, this time I would say it is just that sharp. It comes from the sun-disk in the cubemap. I've done comparison with VRay (see #437) and it produced the same sharp shadow. CPU Lightmass isn't a good reference - for this case you need to set a 0.01 Indirect Lighting Scale or set bAllowIrradianceCaching=False in BaseLightmass.ini to compare (no doubt this will be very slow). If you still have some problem, you can upload the cubemap and I'll test it in VRay.

same scene with same hdri in 3ds max render

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1523727​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Farshid View Post
                        same scene with same hdri in 3ds max render
                        Lookd like I have a bug now lol. Would you like to upload the cubemap for me to test?

EDIT: took a second look and it seemed like the sharp shadow are even more dominating in 3ds max?
                        Last edited by Luoshuang; 09-04-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I can't seem to get soft shadows, any idea what could be the problem?

The lights above are Spot Lights, with the properties:
                          • Source Radius = 6.0
                          • Soft Source Radius = 6.0
                          • Source Length = 46.
                          DefaultLightmass.ini:
                          • NumPrimaryGISamples=64
                          • NumSecondaryGISamples=32

World settings (modified only):
                          • Num indirect lighting bounces = 20
                          • Num sky light bounces = 10
                          • Indirect light quality = 4
                          • Indirect smoothness = 0.75
                          • Compress lightmaps = false

Lightmap resolution on the ground is very high (red density).

CUDA version 9.2.189. GTX 1070.
                          Jefferson Pinheiro

Comment

Clarification: the image from the post above has 4 spot lights above the table. Here's a shot with a single point light, with source radius and soft source radius = 4. Still no soft shadows.

Jefferson Pinheiro

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiguis View Post
                              Clarification: the image from the post above has 4 spot lights above the table. Here's a shot with a single point light, with source radius and soft source radius = 4. Still no soft shadows.
                              Direct lighting from static lights is baked by CPU Lightmass which means they are affected by quality level. Try to set quality level to Production and see what happens.
                              Last edited by Luoshuang; 09-04-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Direct lighting from static lights is baked by CPU Lightmass which means they are affected by quality level. Try to set quality level to Production and see what happens.
                                Oh, that's right. Changing to production did solve it. Thanks!
                                Jefferson Pinheiro

Comment

Working...
                                X