Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post

    Would you like to upload a small scene reproducing this problem so that I can look into it?
    Yes. I will do it later today I think.
    https://www.artstation.com/tomaszmuszynski

    Comment


      Originally posted by Muchasty View Post

      Yes. I will do it later today I think.
      I took a look into it. Looks like it is caused by some mismatch between smoothed shading normal and triangle normal (I tried to replace the chair material with a simple white one and the problem is gone). Currently this is not easy to fix in GPULightmass, so my advice would be try to tessellate your model more (in modeling software, not using material) and see whether it helps.
      Last edited by Luoshuang; 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Situx View Post
        I had to install GPU lightmass 4.20 on more than 10 computers today, so I made a script that will perform a batch of checks and allow to change from GPU bake quality without the need to restart Unreal. It will also check quite a few other things. Hope it helps someone.

        Now on GitHub: https://github.com/sgeraldes/LightmassConfiguration/

        Instructions:
        1) unzip to an empty folder.
        2) double click the .bat file

        The script will download GPU lightmass 4.20.2 from the OP into the same folder, backup CPU Lightmass for you, and install GPU on your choosen quality level.
        It features a Restor CPU option, and on-the-fly switch of GPU Lightmass with UnrealEd running (no need to restart unreal).

        It works with 4.20, but can easily be adapted for 4.19.x if needed by adjusting a few parameters inside the file (just edit with Notepad).

        Requirements:
        - Windows 10 (not tested in earlier versions, may work but no guarantees)
        - Admin privileges

        The script has the following features:
        1. Show you the version of Nvidia drivers running (and any other display driver that's running, i.e.: Intel HD) and warn if not sufficient
        2. Check if you have TDR settings as recommended, IF NOT: the script will ask you to do the changes for you (optional)
        3. Allows changing GPU Lightmass quality settings (fast preview, medium, high-ultra, extreme) without needing to restart unreal.
        4. Backup CPU lightmass for you and give you the option to go restore it later
        5. It will override BaseLightmass.ini on your Unreal folder (it will first backup in the zip archive the version you have and allow to restore at will).
        6. Checks if GPU Lightmass is installed, if not...
          • Download the latest version of GPU Lightmass for you from Luoshuang's links
          • Download 7Z.exe to quickly backup and perform decompression of the files in the archives
          • Finds the installation directory of Unreal, and unzip the files there according to the quality you select (will prompt you for it)
        7. If UnrealEd is running, the script will disable the option to change GPU and CPU lightmass as it needs to access files that are in use to do so.
        Please note: The script will give an error while copying when trying to change the quality settings with Unreal Ed running. That's perfectly fine, the file is just been copied over to be sure it remains the same. I guess I could just copy GPULightmassKernel.dll instead of the whole bunch, but I just think it works as-is just fine. The copy of a single will fail but GPU Lightmass will work the same.

        Also note: the script can't change from CPU to GPU lightmass while the Unreal Editor is running, so the script will check for that and disable the option accordingly.

        The only file that has the changes for quality, and the only file that is in any way different between the different packs, is GPULightmassKernel.dll (I did a binary compare of each file to be sure).

        To use:
        - Simply download LightmassConfiguration.zip and decompress the .bat file to any folder (empty is better)
        - Double-click it, it will ask for admin permissions and do the rest, prompting you each step of the way

        Click image for larger version Name:	LightmassConfigurationv0.2.1.png Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	1519522

        UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2: Modified to allow easier updates of the engine. Fixed some bugs. better detection of some parameters and added a fail-safe in case it fails.TDR settings now in decimal instead of hexa.
        UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2.1: The script now actually checks for driver version and warns the user if the driver does not meet the requirement.
        Maaannnnnnnnn............ You are a good maaannnn........ Thanks...

        Comment


          Originally posted by Situx View Post
          I had to install GPU lightmass 4.20 on more than 10 computers today, so I made a script that will perform a batch of checks and allow to change from GPU bake quality without the need to restart Unreal. It will also check quite a few other things. Hope it helps someone.

          Now on GitHub: https://github.com/sgeraldes/LightmassConfiguration/

          Instructions:
          1) unzip to an empty folder.
          2) double click the .bat file

          The script will download GPU lightmass 4.20.2 from the OP into the same folder, backup CPU Lightmass for you, and install GPU on your choosen quality level.
          It features a Restor CPU option, and on-the-fly switch of GPU Lightmass with UnrealEd running (no need to restart unreal).

          It works with 4.20, but can easily be adapted for 4.19.x if needed by adjusting a few parameters inside the file (just edit with Notepad).

          Requirements:
          - Windows 10 (not tested in earlier versions, may work but no guarantees)
          - Admin privileges

          The script has the following features:
          1. Show you the version of Nvidia drivers running (and any other display driver that's running, i.e.: Intel HD) and warn if not sufficient
          2. Check if you have TDR settings as recommended, IF NOT: the script will ask you to do the changes for you (optional)
          3. Allows changing GPU Lightmass quality settings (fast preview, medium, high-ultra, extreme) without needing to restart unreal.
          4. Backup CPU lightmass for you and give you the option to go restore it later
          5. It will override BaseLightmass.ini on your Unreal folder (it will first backup in the zip archive the version you have and allow to restore at will).
          6. Checks if GPU Lightmass is installed, if not...
            • Download the latest version of GPU Lightmass for you from Luoshuang's links
            • Download 7Z.exe to quickly backup and perform decompression of the files in the archives
            • Finds the installation directory of Unreal, and unzip the files there according to the quality you select (will prompt you for it)
          7. If UnrealEd is running, the script will disable the option to change GPU and CPU lightmass as it needs to access files that are in use to do so.
          Please note: The script will give an error while copying when trying to change the quality settings with Unreal Ed running. That's perfectly fine, the file is just been copied over to be sure it remains the same. I guess I could just copy GPULightmassKernel.dll instead of the whole bunch, but I just think it works as-is just fine. The copy of a single will fail but GPU Lightmass will work the same.

          Also note: the script can't change from CPU to GPU lightmass while the Unreal Editor is running, so the script will check for that and disable the option accordingly.

          The only file that has the changes for quality, and the only file that is in any way different between the different packs, is GPULightmassKernel.dll (I did a binary compare of each file to be sure).

          To use:
          - Simply download LightmassConfiguration.zip and decompress the .bat file to any folder (empty is better)
          - Double-click it, it will ask for admin permissions and do the rest, prompting you each step of the way

          Click image for larger version Name:	LightmassConfigurationv0.2.1.png Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	1519522

          UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2: Modified to allow easier updates of the engine. Fixed some bugs. better detection of some parameters and added a fail-safe in case it fails.TDR settings now in decimal instead of hexa.
          UPDATE 08/23/2018 v0.2.1: The script now actually checks for driver version and warns the user if the driver does not meet the requirement.
          If you have UAC disabled in Windows 10 then it does not work. REG.exe is returning an error when batch is checking the registry info.
          The solution then is to create a link for that BAT, move it to the Desktop and run from the Desktop link.
          https://www.artstation.com/tomaszmuszynski

          Comment


            Originally posted by Muchasty View Post

            If you have UAC disabled in Windows 10 then it does not work. REG.exe is returning an error when batch is checking the registry info.
            The solution then is to create a link for that BAT, move it to the Desktop and run from the Desktop link.
            I may have make a mistake somewhere as it should not return an error with UAC disabled. In fact I just tried and it works. Glad you found a workaround. Running the bat file with rightclick "run as administrator" should also work. I tried disabling UAC and found no issues. May try other things tomorrow.

            Technology Officer
            Magma3D

            Comment


              Originally posted by Situx View Post
              I may have make a mistake somewhere as it should not return an error with UAC disabled. In fact I just tried and it works. Glad you found a workaround. Running the bat file with rightclick "run as administrator" should also work. I tried disabling UAC and found no issues. May try other things tomorrow.
              I do not know why (my) Windows treat this script so badly. Then I try to run as a BAT or even Link from Total Commander at batch location then have an error even when run it as an administrator. Just putting the link on the desktop solves problem. But running the REG query from [WINDOWS]->Run->cmd works perfectly.
              Maybe my system works so wired .
              https://www.artstation.com/tomaszmuszynski

              Comment



                Originally posted by Farshid View Post
                hi all
                again my problem with hdri skylight in gpu lightmass 4.20.2 exterme

                Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00026.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1522622Click image for larger version

Name:	image_146397.jpg
Views:	1378
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1522619



                Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post

                Unlike last time, this time I would say it is just that sharp. It comes from the sun-disk in the cubemap. I've done comparison with VRay (see #437) and it produced the same sharp shadow. CPU Lightmass isn't a good reference - for this case you need to set a 0.01 Indirect Lighting Scale or set bAllowIrradianceCaching=False in BaseLightmass.ini to compare (no doubt this will be very slow). If you still have some problem, you can upload the cubemap and I'll test it in VRay.

                same scene with same hdri in 3ds max render

                Click image for larger version

Name:	AA.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1523727​​​​​​​

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Farshid View Post
                  same scene with same hdri in 3ds max render
                  Lookd like I have a bug now lol. Would you like to upload the cubemap for me to test?

                  EDIT: took a second look and it seemed like the sharp shadow are even more dominating in 3ds max?
                  Last edited by Luoshuang; 09-04-2018, 11:21 AM.

                  Comment


                    I can't seem to get soft shadows, any idea what could be the problem?

                    The lights above are Spot Lights, with the properties:
                    • Source Radius = 6.0
                    • Soft Source Radius = 6.0
                    • Source Length = 46.
                    DefaultLightmass.ini:
                    • NumPrimaryGISamples=64
                    • NumSecondaryGISamples=32

                    World settings (modified only):
                    • Num indirect lighting bounces = 20
                    • Num sky light bounces = 10
                    • Indirect light quality = 4
                    • Indirect smoothness = 0.75
                    • Compress lightmaps = false

                    Lightmap resolution on the ground is very high (red density).

                    CUDA version 9.2.189. GTX 1070.
                    --

                    Comment


                      Clarification: the image from the post above has 4 spot lights above the table. Here's a shot with a single point light, with source radius and soft source radius = 4. Still no soft shadows.

                      --

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Ixiguis View Post
                        Clarification: the image from the post above has 4 spot lights above the table. Here's a shot with a single point light, with source radius and soft source radius = 4. Still no soft shadows.
                        Direct lighting from static lights is baked by CPU Lightmass which means they are affected by quality level. Try to set quality level to Production and see what happens.
                        Last edited by Luoshuang; 09-04-2018, 02:47 PM.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post

                          Direct lighting from static lights is baked by CPU Lightmass which means they are affected by quality level. Try to set quality level to Production and see what happens.
                          Oh, that's right. Changing to production did solve it. Thanks!
                          --

                          Comment


                            Hello all, just download this a few days ago and been grinding at it. really love it. Especially the skylight bounce.. produces very good shading.

                            Now, is there anyways I can utilize more than one gpu from my computer? I have octane (parallel speed increase) and redshift (almost parallel up to two gpus) and they render really fast by utilizing my FOUR gtx 1070s in my pc. It's a shame that GPU light mass uses only one of my cards..

                            Can you Luoshuang make any alpha version of multiple gpu version of this GPU lightmass? it really really would be awesome!


                            anyways, thanks again for this incredible tool. can't thank you enough.


                            Kenneth

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Farshid View Post

                              same scene with same hdri in 3ds max render
                              I did a quick test and the result was different from any version you shown... Will investiagte later

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by KennethC70 View Post
                                Hello all, just download this a few days ago and been grinding at it. really love it. Especially the skylight bounce.. produces very good shading.

                                Now, is there anyways I can utilize more than one gpu from my computer? I have octane (parallel speed increase) and redshift (almost parallel up to two gpus) and they render really fast by utilizing my FOUR gtx 1070s in my pc. It's a shame that GPU light mass uses only one of my cards..

                                Can you Luoshuang make any alpha version of multiple gpu version of this GPU lightmass? it really really would be awesome!


                                anyways, thanks again for this incredible tool. can't thank you enough.


                                Kenneth
                                Biggest problem: I have only one GPU and thus cannot perform any test lol

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X