Luoshuang's GPULightmass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Makigirl View Post

Could you post please the same screenshots with no change in the scene but using CPU lightmass?
    Thank you!
    will try to do CPU rebake ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
      I wonder what happened to @Luoshuang
      He's been quiet for some time ...
      He got hired at Epic.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post

He got hired at Epic.
        I figured that much, but I hope they didn't silence him And since GPULightmass isn't coming in 4.20, I wonder if we ever get updates until it makes its way into official UE4.

Comment

Maybe I'm jumping too early on conclusions but its kinda weird that all cool UE4 plugins like AHR and GPULightmass are "dead/dormant" because their devs got hired...

Comment

Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post
            Maybe I'm jumping too early on conclusions but its kinda weird that all cool UE4 plugins like AHR and GPULightmass are "dead/dormant" because their devs got hired...
            Well, the standard they need to hit is way higher if they're developing features for the actual engine itself, for use by everyone.
            (After all, it'll have to work properly in every usecase, needing workaround hacks like increasing gpu timeout delay might not be what Epic intends for the engine. )
            And I suppose it's important to note that just because they get hired at Epic, it doesn't mean that they get hired explicitly to do the 1 thing they were doing beforehand.

I of course don't know anything about how development happens internally at Epic, but I imagine their talents can get put to many different projects in addition to the things they were doing when they were hired. Not to mention that they might be working on additional features, as opposed to just dropping in Gpulightmass as it is right now.

As it is right now it just straight up replaces the normal cpu lightmass, which might not fit into all workflows. (After all, some people might have cpu-oriented renderfarms, not gpu oriented ones.)
            So whenever a GPU lightmass comes, the engine will likely come with both cpu and gpu versions of lightmass, (exclusive, likely. Either you render with one or the other.)
            Then suddenly you need to make sure that projects will work fine with either one.
            On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to support/run on OpenGL / OpenCL to be a proper engine feature. As opposed to something that only runs on nvidia gpus(CUDA).

Optimally, what I really hope is that a Lightmass V2 is what'll come out eventually, with the capability to use both cpu and gpu for separate tasks, and with the ability to do out of core. (Meaning that you're not capped by gpu VRAM. ) But who knows if that'll come.

In any case, I imagine we'll be pretty happy when news comes, as I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we hear about gpu lightmass it'll be essentially v1.0, or close to it.

Comment

Nice details. btw. when exactly was it stated that GPULightmass would be implemented into UE4?

Comment

Originally posted by TriNityGER View Post
                Nice details. btw. when exactly was it stated that GPULightmass would be implemented into UE4?
                When Luoshuang moved to work at Epic ?
                Antoine Guillo, FR
                Virtual Reality Designer
                https://groupe-legendre.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LegendreVR View Post

When Luoshuang moved to work at Epic ?
                  To be honest, he didn't. People just assumed that.
                  He's never even explicitly said that he was hired by Epic, just that he's relocating to the city where they're based.

So it's not impossible that GPULightmass will never be a thing, but I hope it will. In either case I don't think we'll hear anything for months.

Comment

Hello.

I have a strange problem. On a PC I7 with a GTX 1070 a scene until complex bake easily. In another PC with a Ryzen 7 with GTX 1060 gives an error in the beginning ... And in another PC same, Ryzen 7 with GTX 1060 the same error.

Is there any feedback when ryzens? Any explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by ax448 View Post

He's never even explicitly said that he was hired by Epic, just that he's relocating to the city where they're based.

So it's not impossible that GPULightmass will never be a thing, but I hope it will. In either case I don't think we'll hear anything for months.
                      Actually its confirmed by a Epic dev, that he is hired to work on GPULightmass and the new Lightmass system.

Comment

Confirmed "officially" here.
                        Antoine Guillo, FR
                        Virtual Reality Designer
                        https://groupe-legendre.com/

Comment

I'm ok to be in 4.19 for as much as GPU baking is official implemented! This feature is so much important, that I don't mind step back from new releases. And this plugin works fine for most cases.
                          I Hope we hear something about it from Epic. The only thing I saw they saying about it in a livestream is that GPU baking is not possible in UE4. And now we know it is! And it is way better than the CPU. best shadows, and overhall quality... without saying the easy of use, without having to change settings until an acceptable result is reached.

Comment

Originally posted by LegendreVR View Post
                            Thanks! That sounds epic ;D

Comment

Anyone else had this issue where after the render your level is all black and white and garbled? It happened to me once a week ago and I removed the mesh I'd added and that seemed to fix it but wanted to see if there was a better way than process of elimination.

Comment

i have 2 pc but only have 1 nvidia graphic card,
                                is it work if cpu + gpu lightmass work together use swarm agent with 2 pc?

Comment

Working...
                                X