• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motorsep View Post

Not even through .ini file setting ?
    The total number of samples taken by the Brute Force GI Engine is fixed:

Fast Preview: 16 * 16 * 2 = 512
    Medium Quality: 32 * 32 * 2 (Fixed) + 32 * 32 * 2 (Adaptive) = 4096
    Ultra High: 64 * 64 * 2 (Fixed) + 64 * 64 * 2 (Adaptive) = 16384

However, the secondary radiosity caching GI engine does accept a parameter to reduce/increase the quality: MappingSurfaceCacheDownsampleFactor (minimum 1) in BaseLightmass.ini. Basically the engine uses your lightmap resolution as a reference and divides it by the downsample factor to deduce the final indirect lighting resolution. Raising the downsample factor can reduce video memory consumption but can also introduce leaks. A workaround is to split the lightmap UV at where the lighting leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post

The total number of samples taken by the Brute Force GI Engine is fixed:

Fast Preview: 16 * 16 * 2 = 512
      Medium Quality: 32 * 32 * 2 (Fixed) + 32 * 32 * 2 (Adaptive) = 4096
      Ultra High: 64 * 64 * 2 (Fixed) + 64 * 64 * 2 (Adaptive) = 16384

However, the secondary radiosity caching GI engine does accept a parameter to reduce/increase the quality: MappingSurfaceCacheDownsampleFactor (minimum 1) in BaseLightmass.ini. Basically the engine uses your lightmap resolution as a reference and divides it by the downsample factor to deduce the final indirect lighting resolution. Raising the downsample factor can reduce video memory consumption but can also introduce leaks. A workaround is to split the lightmap UV at where the lighting leaks.
      Right, but I don't really want to have 3 different custom engines built. That's why I wonder why not to put total number of samples into .ini so that people (including myself) only need to build 1 copy of the engine and then restart it (after changing .ini settings) to be able to build either Fast Preview or Ultra High quality.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post

Right, but I don't really want to have 3 different custom engines built. That's why I wonder why not to put total number of samples into .ini so that people (including myself) only need to build 1 copy of the engine and then restart it (after changing .ini settings) to be able to build either Fast Preview or Ultra High quality.
        That's why this is an early version

Comment

Curious, when will you support lod and hlod lighting properly when over lapping causes the black lightmaps...?

Comment

for those of you who have problems with grainy/splotchy lightmaps.
            you can workaround this by upping the indirect lighting intensities of your lights from 1 to 3-6. depends on the lighting situation and the light intensity of the light.
            if your scene then gets too bright, you can cramp up the eye adaption/exposure min/max brightness settings. to something like 0.4-0.5 also highly depends on your environment and lighting situation. but this way i can also use the GPU baker in critical conditions.
            not ideal, since f*cking with the post process settings will also affect your exterior views and quickly you changed the complete nice lighting settings you had..but well it is a workaround

Comment

Originally posted by Logithx View Post

edit:

This could be related to the GPU timing out due to heavy workload, it's usually accompanied with the 'unspecified launch failure' error. Did you change the TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) to a higher number in the Windows registry? Windows defaults it at only 2 seconds, try changing it to a higher number like 300. It's explained how to do this in the original thread post, or you can look up it up yourself on other sites.
              Thanks a lot for reply but it doesnt work with me. May be GTX 770 isn't support for this tool or my computer has an error

Comment

I am getting this in the output log:
                Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up.

I have tweaked the TDR settings as required. Seems the renderer resorts back to cpu to do the baking as the gpu tab that comes up doesn't and the original black blacking progress bar comes up.
                This seems to happen after I tweak the following:

Are we supposed to tweak the Volumetric Lightmap settings when using GPU lightmass baker?
                I am using GTX 780M. I am guessing this might have issues since its an older card?
                https://www.artstation.com/melviso
                https://www.behance.net/melvisuzokf304

Comment

I tried to install this to give it a whirl, and I'm getting this error when I try to build lighting. I already did the TDR fix and nothing changed. Any ideas?
                  <None> === Lightmass crashed: ===
                  Assertion failed: (Index >= 0) & (Index < ArrayNum) [File:d:\build\++ue4+release-4.19+compile\sync\engine\source\runtime\core\public\Containers/Array.h] [Line: 610]
                  Array index out of bounds: 2048 from an array of size 0

0x000000006D174008 KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x00000000388A5E24 UnrealLightmass-ApplicationCore.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x000000000F26A48B UnrealLightmass-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x000000000F1AD258 UnrealLightmass-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x0000000096B2FE25 UnrealLightmass.exe!UnknownFunction []
                  0x0000000096B304EF UnrealLightmass.exe!UnknownFunction []
                  0x0000000096B16D5D UnrealLightmass.exe!UnknownFunction []
                  0x000000000F3DCCFC UnrealLightmass-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x000000000F3D0A53 UnrealLightmass-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x00000000709B1FE4 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
                  0x0000000070C7F061 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []
                  0x0000000070C7F061 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

GTX 1080 by the way. I also tried reducing lightmap resolution on everything to 128 at max, and it still crashes.
                  Last edited by Wilkes; 05-26-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melvixz View Post
                    I am getting this in the output log:
                    Timed out while waiting for GPU to catch up.
                    This error is unrelated to GPULightmass actually. It's the editor timed out for rendering viewport. You can try the command line trick to prevent this.

Originally posted by Wilkes View Post
                    I tried to install this to give it a whirl, and I'm getting this error when I try to build lighting. I already did the TDR fix and nothing changed. Any ideas?
                    I believe this is also unrelated to GPULightmass since it looks like the famous SwarmAgent cache problem. Try cleaning cache in the SwarmAgent window.

Comment

Thanks Luoshuang. It still didn't work though

Here is the swarmagent log if it helps: https://pastebin.com/CqLN6WHN

Comment

Originally posted by Wilkes View Post
                        Thanks Luoshuang. It still didn't work though

Here is the swarmagent log if it helps: https://pastebin.com/CqLN6WHN
                        It looks like Lightmass had crashed even before GPULightmass kicked in. I have no idea about what was happening. Sorry

Comment

Oddly enough there is no difference in render time when rendering with a gtx 980 + 980m vs gtx 980 +980m + gtx 780.... Any idea why?

Comment

Originally posted by Luoshuang View Post

It looks like Lightmass had crashed even before GPULightmass kicked in. I have no idea about what was happening. Sorry
                            Huh, after deleting/reinstalling your Lightmass and restarting UE4, it worked.

EDIT:

After running a few successful tests on smaller maps, I tried to run a bake on a pretty big map using the command line. After the "Building BVH" bar gets to 100%, I get an error that says "invalid argument." When I press OK on that, it gives me this: https://i.imgur.com/pwswHGe.png

After hitting "retry," it fails and then gives me this output log: https://pastebin.com/2X90z3Ry
                            Last edited by Wilkes; 05-27-2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Can i continue to adjust Lightmass value to improve shadow quality?An error occurred when i not checked compress lightmaps.

Comment

Luoshuang

Your work is incredible! And it makes me question Epic's priorities regarding its engine ... Lightbaking by gpu is so important to indie developers that it should already be present in the engine. You have proven that this is possible and that besides the huge advantage of rendering speed, it still has an exceptional quality compared to the Lightmass standard.

Thank you very much for helping the community in ways that Epic does not care.
                                You need to read how important your contribution is to staying motivated! Congratulations!

just a question to anyone who can answer me:

in one of my scenarios, the lighting is all black, except for the direct light of the directional light (without indirect lighting). I left the light source angle value at 1 and I deactivated the Use Area Shadows option. This light is static.

In addition to directional light, I have a skylight with an hdr, also static light that does not seem to be illuminating the scene. the result is all black.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Comment

Working...
                                X