Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does UE4 feature real time dynamic global illumination like Enlighten or SVOGI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by romix View Post
    Hi guys, what about this solution? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGO7...ndex=82&t=205s Right now it's working fine. Don't know about big projects but for little scenes, it's good to use
    LPV isn't great in UE4, it's slower than it should be, only works in a set space which isn't very detailed, and it only works with certain types of lights, and it still has issues with light bleeding (not good for indoor lighting). It's mostly useless due to those things.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      Most solutions don't work in the way that Epic wants them to work, for example VXGI is too much for many machines and doesn't work on consoles. Enlighten doesn't work with dynamic objects and still requires baking.
      I don't think there's going to be a dynamic GI system added until the next consoles get released and they drop support for things like Xbox One.
      Sorry for late reply but its a bit MUCH trying to keep up with best lighting method on less than stellar hardware etlal, so yes why would xbox one support be removed , given On June 11, 2017, Microsoft lowered the prices of the 500 GB Battlefield 1 and 1 TB Forza Horizon 3 Xbox One S console bundles by US$50 , hardly archaic ( can't turn off bold). Anyway , dynamic lighting for world comp open worlds is far too costly nor are there any lighting methods that are working or ideal for dynamic situations( building static takes forever on detailed terrain ) anyway short of very fast & current hardware will DGI coming in 4.24? work for such setups ?

Thx
      Last edited by neighborlee; 11-12-2019, 03:09 PM.
      Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
      https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

I wouldn't expect any new dynamic GI systems to be targeting something like an Xbox One, we'll see what they can do for the new generation of consoles which have been talking about raytracing features but I kind of doubt that they will be able to do that all that well. At the very least, some of the dynamic GI options that had previously been explored (like SVOGI) might be reasonable to use on the new consoles and can be added in to the engine.

Comment

" Anyway , dynamic lighting for world comp open worlds is far too costly nor are there any lighting methods that are working or ideal for dynamic situations( building static takes forever on detailed terrain ) anyway short of very fast & current hardware will DGI coming in 4.24? work for such setups ? "<sorry if not clear, but while ty for console verify, this was for my PC-appreciate any help on that front .Ya, high end lighting would indeed be a lift for consoles so the GI sound solid later.

ASking because adding too many directional lights far too costly right now , and fog & skylight aren't scattering the lights to 3 of the tiles,,they are dark on 2/3 furthest areas on all those tiles.
          Last edited by neighborlee; 11-12-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Theoretically they're still working on raytraced GI, with final gather, 1spp, and ambient occlusion it should work ok.

Still, without heightfield GI being brought back, and included in reflections, it won't work for open world games. Not too mention some form of volumetric fog interaction, what's the point of the upcoming volumetric updates without it? Also how well does RTGI work with Niagara atm? Not to mention lack of spline meshes, etc. etc.

Unless Epic actually makes a "triple a" game again, let alone an open world game, I suspect GI and any derivation of will still remain half functional for most such titles, just like almost everything else that isn't close enough to Fortnite. But hey Fable 4 is in development, if they're using UE4 again maybe the team will push commits back to UE4 main branch like they were doing with Fable... whatever that title was that gave almost working LPV, I forgot already.

Comment

OK that is ODD,'if true, can you back that up somehow ? How is the world comp 'module', part of UE4 suppose to be usable if lighting is insufficient atm?
              How was the kite demo done, if accurate lighting isn't available for world comp ?

I surely hope, UE4 hasn't abandoned world comp in favor of actions games, I hope your inference is out of date .

Comment

Working...
              X